Specialty Pharmacy Prescription Services
The Dartmouth-Hitchcock Specialty Pharmacy provides extensive prescription services to our patients. Expand the following topic sections to learn more about the services we provide.
If you experience a medical emergency, please call 911 immediately.
If you experience suicidal thoughts, please contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255. They offer free and confidential emotional support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you or a loved one require support for drug abuse or addiction, please contact the National Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration at (800) 662-4357 and they will refer you to local treatment facility, support group, or community-based organization.
If you are experiencing a non-emergent drug reaction please call our specialty pharmacist at (855) 280-3893. They are available 24/7 to address your concerns and report them to your prescriber if necessary.
In the event of a natural disaster or other emergency that might require you to leave your home, take at least one week's worth of medication with you and inform the pharmacy of your location and contact information. Should a natural disaster impact shipping to your area (i.e., a blizzard, ice storm, hurricane), the pharmacy will contact you to ship medication early or will order your medication locally to avoid disruptions in therapy. If you think you will be impacted by a natural disaster, contact the pharmacy at (855) 280-3893 to discuss your prescription needs.
In the event of a drug recall you will receive a call from a pharmacist to discuss a quick and safe resolution.
All prescription insurance companies have different kinds of plans. To help you understand your benefits, here are some common terms and their meanings:
- Refill-too-soon: You are trying to refill a prescription sooner than your insurance company approves. Most insurance companies allow you to refill a prescription once a certain amount of your medication is used. This is based off the anticipated amount of days your supply should last. If your dose has increased or you are going on vacation, please contact the pharmacy immediately at (855) 280-3893.
- Quantity Limits: Your provider has written for a certain amount of medication, but it is more than your insurance will cover. This can be limited to tablets per day or by how many months of medication you can receive at a time. Pharmacy staff will explain this and work with you to answer any questions or concerns.
- Step Therapy: Your insurance plan wants you to try other less expensive medicines, or "steps", before they will pay for the prescribed medication.
- Prior Authorization: The medication being prescribed is not covered by your plan without supporting information such as medications tried and failed. The D-H Specialty Pharmacy will work with your provider's office to get this authorization, and we will keep you updated throughout the process.
- Copayment: Depending on your insurance plan it is either a fixed or variable payment for a covered service made each time you receive this service. An example of such a service is filling a prescription.
We will contact you if any prescription filled at the D-H Specialty Pharmacy has limitations from your insurance company.
To qualify for our program, you need to have a prescription for a specialty medication. This prescription may be given to us by your provider, through a transfer from an outside pharmacy or, you can bring in a paper prescription. After we get your prescription, we will work with your insurance company to determine the timeline for processing (managing prior authorizations, step therapy, etc.), co-pays and any out-of-pocket expenses.
We will contact you to discuss insurance requirements, shipping options, prescription costs, provide drug information, and answer any questions you may have.
Unless otherwise indicated, all prescriptions will be filled with an FDA-approved generic when available.
Our pharmacists will contact you monthly to schedule refills. Should you have a therapy change or need an early refill, please contact the pharmacy at (855) 280-3893 and ask to speak to a Specialty Pharmacy employee.
In order to ship prescriptions the same day, you need to submit a refill by 1:00 pm EST.
If you are currently filling your specialty medications at another specialty pharmacy and you would like to transfer your care to the D-H Specialty Pharmacy, please call us at (855) 280-3893 and provide the name and number of the other pharmacy. Our staff will transfer in the prescription and contact you when it is ready. We can also provide your other maintenance medications should you prefer to fill at D-H Pharmacy. Please ask a member of our staff for assistance.
We may not be able to fill your specialty medication because some insurance plans may require you to fill your prescription at another pharmacy, or because the manufacturer limits access to these medications. When this happens, we will notify you and work with your provider to transfer the prescription(s) to the correct pharmacy.
When we receive your prescription one of our pharmacists will contact you to review:
- How your medication works
- How to take your medication
- Potential interactions with other medications
- Side effect monitoring
- When to schedule lab work
- When to contact your provider
- Safe drug disposal
Our pharmacists will contact you monthly to:
- Review your medication
- Assess side effects
- Discuss any questions you may have
- Schedule your next refill
- Confirm medication delivery
Our personalized clinical services are here to help:
- Manage your medications
- Ensure that you are taking your medications as prescribed
- Ensure that you are getting correct lab work
- Pay attention to side effects
- Connect with your provider
- Learn about your medications
- Review how you are taking your medication
Each person's therapy is different. The D-H Specialty Pharmacy is able to tailor a care plan that meets your specific needs. Our specialty pharmacist will contact you to discuss services upon receiving your prescription. All discussions between you and the pharmacist are recorded in your medical record and made available to your provider.
We realize that your medical care may involve multiple providers and facilities. At the request of you or your provider, we are able to share your care plan.
If you do not want to receive Clinical Management phone calls, please contact the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Pharmacy at (855) 280-3893 and ask to opt out.
We will need your help so that we can help you. You must be willing to actively participate in our program for access to the health care benefits provided by our specialty pharmacy team. This includes responding to our outreach calls, and providing updates about your health. You need to be willing to take your medication on time and as instructed in order for it to work properly. Consultations with a pharmacist do not replace appointments with your provider.
It is important to understand your medical condition and the medication used to treat it. We provide the following educational resources:
- Pharmacists available to answer your questions in person Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
- 24/7 pharmacist for emergent needs, available by calling (855) 280-3893
We work with your insurance company and provider’s office to help determine your out-of-pocket prescription costs, deductibles, co-pays and co-insurance totals. We also help you and your provider to get prior authorizations and resolve prescription coverage denials.
The D-H Specialty Pharmacy will bill your insurance company for you. Please note that you may still have to pay a portion of the cost—also called a copayment. You will be responsible for paying your copayment when you order your medication or refills. Our staff will tell you the exact copay before shipping your medication.
We use all available resources (manufacturer co-pay assistance cards, patient assistance funds, etc.) to reduce your co-pay charges and make sure your medications are as affordable as possible. Should you need additional resources, we work with the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Office of Care Management to provide financial assistance.
Your refrigerated medications will be shipped overnight at no charge via FedEx. All nonrefrigerated medications are shipped via USPS or FedEx. We will contact you before shipping medications to confirm the shipping address and out of pocket expense. Please return our call as soon as possible to avoid delays. After we have confirmed your order we will fill your prescription within one day. Tracking numbers are available upon request. Note: The D-H Pharmacy will not ship any medication without your direct permission.
Should there be a delay in filling your prescription, we will notify you to try and prevent interruptions in therapy. If our pharmacy is unable to provide your medication, we will help you get your medication from another pharmacy.
Please open your order and review the contents immediately after you receive them to ensure your order is correct and complete. We encourage you to store your medication in the proper way as soon as possible. Please contact the D-H Pharmacy at (855) 280-3893 within one business day to report missing or damaged contents.
Feedback or questions about your order?
Thank you for taking the time to review all the services D-H Specialty Pharmacy is able to offer. We welcome all feedback and are always working to improve your experience. If you are interested in enrolling in our mail order service, completing a satisfaction survey or customer complaint form, or assigning a personal representative to your account, please call (855) 280-3893.
To check your order status, contact the pharmacy at (855) 280-3893. For after-hours questions, please follow the prompts to speak with a member of our specialty staff.
Order delays, returns, and errors
If your order is delayed due to events such as weather, poor drug availability or insurance coverage changes, the D-H Pharmacy will contact you to ensure that you have no interruptions in therapy.
Due to rules set forth by the New Hampshire Board of Pharmacy, we are unable to take back medication once it has left the pharmacy. We will do everything possible to make sure your order is correct before leaving the pharmacy. If receiving your prescription via mail order, please open your order and review the contents immediately to ensure your order is accurate and complete.
It is your responsibility to contact the D-H Pharmacy at (855) 280-3893 within one business day to report missing or damaged contents.
- Parking, Transportation, & Maps
- Specialty Pharmacy
- Flowers, Gifts & Conveniences
- Cafeterias & Other Dining Options
- Art, Music & Walking Paths
- Service Dog and Pet Visitation
- Lodging Assistance (Rest Easy)
- Hospital Stays