Dartmouth-Hitchcock will provide care for emergency medical conditions and medically necessary services to individuals despite their ability to pay or eligibility for ﬁnancial or government assistance regardless of age, gender, race, social or immigrant status, sexual orientation or religious afﬁliation.
Dartmouth-Hitchcock provides ﬁnancial assistance to persons who have healthcare needs and are uninsured, underinsured, or ineligible for a government program or are otherwise unable to pay, for medically necessary care or emergency medical conditions based on their individual ﬁnancial situation.
Dartmouth-Hitchcock will make reasonable efforts to determine whether a patient is eligible for ﬁnancial assistance before pursuing collection actions.
For more information, please call (844) 808-0730.
How Can You Qualify?
The qualifications are:
- You must be a resident of NH or VT or a non-resident who experiences a medical emergency; and
- You don’t have insurance or have a high out of pocket responsibility, are not eligible for any government health care beneﬁt program, or are unable to pay for your care due to ﬁnancial hardship; and
- Your services are medically necessary; or
- You have a NH Health Access Network Card; or
- You meet established charity criteria
For full details, see our Financial Assistance Policy for Healthcare Services (PDF).
For a quick check to see if you may qualify, use our Financial Assistance Calculator.
How Do You Apply?
First, you will work with our ﬁnancial counselor to be sure there are no other payment options.
Then you will complete a ﬁnancial assistance application with required documentation.
- For Lebanon area patients: Financial Assistance Application - Lebanon (PDF)
- For Manchester / Bedford, Concord, and Nashua area patients: Financial Assistance Application - Group Practices (PDF)
- For Keene area patients: The financial assistance at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene has some differences. If you are a Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene patient, see Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene Financial Assistance for more information.
- You can apply at any point during your care at Dartmouth-Hitchcock
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock will accept your NH Health Access Network Card
Frequently Asked Questions
- How is your ﬁnancial assistance determined?
You may qualify for a partial or full reduction of your balance based on your income and assets in comparison to the Federal Poverty Levels (FPL) or the impact of the circumstances.
- When will you know if you are approved?
You will receive a letter in 30 to 45 days after your application is completed.
- What happens if you are denied or not approved for 100%?
If you don’t agree with why you were denied or received partial approval for ﬁnancial assistance, you may send a letter within 30 days of the denial that states why you don’t agree. If your application is denied or approved for anything less than 100%, instructions and the mailing address will be sent to you.
If you have other questions, call us at (844) 808-0730.
Patients without insurance cannot be charged any more than amounts generally billed to people who have insurance covering the same care. Dartmouth-Hitchcock applies a discount against gross charges to all balances where there is no insurance, resulting in a balance which the patient is expected to pay. The discount is based on the top three negotiated commercial insurance company rates. This discount is applied prior to billing the patient and prior to applying any ﬁnancial assistance adjustments. This discount doesn’t apply to any copayments, co-insurance, deductible amounts, pre-payment or package services which already reﬂect any required discount, or to services classiﬁed as non-covered by all insurance companies.
- Computer System Integration
- Billing Office
- Insurances Accepted by Dartmouth-Hitchcock
- Financial Assistance
- Charges for Services
- Out-of-Pocket Estimator (How much will I owe?)
- Referrals and Precertifications
- Insurance Marketplaces
- Frequently Asked Questions