Advanced Heart Failure & Cardiomyopathy Program
The Advanced Heart Failure and Cardiomyopathy Program is an interdisciplinary program that provides you with comprehensive care through a shared-care approach.
You might be referred to our program by your primary care physician, cardiologist, or other specialist seeking a second opinion or for advanced diagnostic services (such as specialized imaging or heart biopsy).
Our program provides education and comprehensive evaluation to determine the underlying cause of heart failure and cardiomyopathy for newly diagnosed patients.
Our program follows you in the setting where you receive care, whether in our outpatient clinic or inpatient care here or with a partner hospital.
Services you can receive from our program
- In-depth evaluation including a completed medical / family history and physical exam.
- Laboratory / imaging studies including referral for specialized testing such as cardiopulmonary stress testing, metabolic stress testing, advanced imaging with cardiac MRI, and cardiac catheterization.
- Myocardial biopsy.
- Genetic evaluation and counseling for familial cardiomyopathy.
Ongoing medical management
- Thorough review and optimization of medical therapies, including guideline-based medical therapies for heart failure and cardiomyopathy, and review of pre-existing diseases and medical treatments.
- Consideration for participation in clinical trials of new drugs and therapies.
- One of the first clinical treatment programs in the country for cardio-oncology care for patients who have developed, or are at risk for developing, cardiovascular disease as a result of cancer or cancer treatment.
- Expert follow-up care and medical management for patients with a heart transplant or mechanical pump.
Referral for advanced therapies and devices
- Assessment, referral and follow-up care for treatments with standard, advanced, or investigational devices.
- Referral to Interventional Cardiology and Structural Heart Disease for procedures such as angioplasty/stents, TAVR, or closure of shunts in the heart.
- Referral to Cardiac Electrophysiology for evaluation and possible implantation of devices such as pacemakers or defibrillators.
- Assessment and referral for advanced therapies such as heart transplant or mechanical heart, or surgically implanted pumping devices (Left Ventricular Assist Device, LVAD, or Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator, ICD).
- Referral to Cardiac Rehabilitation.
- Seamless connection to other clinical programs to help patients manage related conditions and their overall health.
- Nurse care management support, including patient education and coordination of home care and social service.
- Telemanagement of heart failure symptoms.
- Nutritional education and support.
- Coordination and referral for Palliative Care services to support patient transition as appropriate.
How our interdisciplinary, shared-care model impacts your care
Our care model means that you will see all members of the Advance Heart Failure & Cardiomyopathy team at some point during your care. If you have a complex diagnosis, you will see additional specialists who will be actively involved in your care. Specialists may include interventional cardiologists and cardiac electrophysiologists. If you are admitted to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center for emergency or elective services, we provide ongoing support in decision-making and medical management.
Our shared care model includes dual faculty appointments and collaboration with Tufts Medical Center Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplant Center which enables seamless referral and follow-up care for advanced surgeries and device procedures such as heart transplant surgery and LVAD implantation.
- Our Team
- Programs and Services
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiovascular Medicine
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program
- Anticoagulation Services
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular Imaging
- Heart Failure, Cardiomyopathy & Pulmonary Hypertension Program
- Interventional Cardiology & Structural Heart Disease Program
- The Preventive Cardiology & Lipid Clinic
- Sports Cardiology
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Vascular Medicine
- Vascular Surgery
- Patient Stories and Heart Health Tips
- Research and Clinical Trials
- For Health Care Professionals
- Appointments and Referrals