Vascular and Interventional Radiology
The Division of Vascular and Interventional Radiology at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center offers a comprehensive program of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to treat a variety of disorders. VIR maintains an excellent relationship with other clinical services, including nephrology, urology, gastroenterology, cardiology, oncology, vascular surgery and gynecology. These relationships have helped VIR build a vibrant clinical practice and stay on the forefront of new therapies, such as:
- Uterine artery embolization for the treatment of symptomatic fibroids
- Treatment of renovascular hypertension and ischemic nephropathy through renal artery stent placement
- Hemodialysis access interventions
- Therapy for varicose veins in the lower extremities using endovenous radiofrequency ablation
- Interventional oncology for primary and metastatic disease, providing Yttrium-90 radioembolization, chemoembolization, radiofrequency ablation, percutaneous alcohol ablation, and tracheobronchial stent placement
We have enhanced the clinical aspects of the VIR practice by creating a dedicated VIR clinic, located with other DHMC physician clinics. Patients referred to VIR are evaluated, examined and scheduled for appropriate procedures by interventional radiologists. VIR now has an admitting service, which admits selected patients to DHMC after their procedures, usually overnight. Sharene Evans, a dedicated VIR nurse practitioner, joined the practice in 2003. She takes an active role in the management of inpatients and outpatient follow-up; she also performs many of the venous access procedures.
Teaching always has been an emphasis in the VIR Division, highlighted by comprehensive Residency and Fellowship Programs. The VIR staff recently revised the curriculum for resident training at DHMC. The VIR training experience has been a positive influence for Radiology residents; generally 25 percent of the residents decide to continue their careers as VIR Fellows.
- About Us
- Conditions, Tests and Treatments
- Health Information
- Patient Stories
- Heart and Vascular Center News
- Our Teams
- Appointment Information