Lupron Instructions for IVF
A full (20 units) dose is taken daily each morning. After 10 days you will reduce the dose to 10 units. Only use the orange-tipped syringe for injecting Lupron.
- Take this medication the same time each day.
- You should take your Lupron injection in the morning. Choose a convenient time between 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. and then stay with that time, not varying by more than half an hour.
- Keep each unopened vial refrigerated until ready to use.
- Keep all Lupron vials refrigerated.
- Remember that an open Lupron vial is good only for this cycle.
- Discard any remaining Lupron at the end of each cycle.
A full dose = 20 IU
A half dose = 10 IU
- Pull air into syringe to the level of 20 IU.
- Inject air into the Lupron bottle.
- Turn bottle upside down with needle still in rubber dome.
- Pull back plunger hard and quick to level of 20 (You may overfill and then push back to level of 20 to get the air bubbles out).
- Turn bottle upright and withdraw needle.
- Flick syringe to remove air bubbles.
- Prepare area. You should rotate sites.
- Hold syringe perpendicular (45 degree angle) to skin and insert entire needle.
- Inject medicine, withdraw needle and apply pressure.
Possible side effects
Lupron is a medication which shuts down production of some of your female hormones and causes a menopausal-like state. The side effects you may experience include: hot flashes, frontal headaches, and mood swings.
- OB/GYN: Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Our Locations
- About Our Program
- Fertility Treatments
- Fertility Tests & Surgeries
- Egg Donor Program
- Genetic Counseling
- Emotional Support
- Video: Helping to Build Families
- Our Success Rates
- Reproductive Medicine Team
- More Appointment Information