Classes and Support Groups
The following is a list of classes and support groups for patients and their family members. For a full list of all Dartmouth-Hitchcock events, see Classes & Events.
Total Joint Replacement Class
This free class is for people who are preparing for total joint replacement surgery. The focus will be on both Total Knee Replacement and Total Hip Replacement.
- Dates: The first through the fourth Tuesday and the third Thursday of each month from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Location: Concord Hospital Center of Orthopaedic Care, 6 South Rehab Gym
- Registration: Call (603) 227-7000 and ask for Nancy at ext. 6389, or Paula at ext. 6387. No referrals needed.
Joint Camp is a 1-1/2 hour educational program offered twice a month to patients who are planning to undergo joint replacement at Cheshire Medical Center/Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene.
A physical therapist reviews the basics about what you will need to know when you get home after surgery: how to navigate stairs, bathtubs, and icy driveways. A registered nurse explains all of the important pre-surgical preparation and post-surgical follow-up appointments. The joint replacement team also demonstrates the exercises you should do following your operation.
Having a chance to learn and practice your exercises in advance means there's one less thing to worry about after surgery. Bring all your concerns and questions to this helpful information session.
- Dates: second and fourth Tuesday of every month at 2:00 p.m.
- Location: Group treatment room, level 1A, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene
- Registration: You will be automatically scheduled for the appropriate class once your surgery has been scheduled.
Total Knee/Hip Replacement Class
In this half-day class you will learn how to prepare for your operation, what to expect on the day of your operation, what the recovery process will be like, and how to ensure you stay healthy after your surgery.
For more information, view DHMC's Total Hip Replacement or Total Knee Replacement guides – helpful, online handbooks on pre- and post-surgical care. A downloadable version of each of these guides is also available.
- Dates: Thursdays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Location: DHMC in Lebanon (the specific room will be provided once you register).
- Registration: This class is for patients signed up for Total Hip Replacement or Total Knee Replacement surgery. You will be automatically scheduled for the appropriate class once the surgery has been scheduled.
The Total Joint Class
Elliot Hospital offers a complimentary class for those planning to have Total Hip or Total Knee replacement surgery.
- Dates: First and third Thursday of every month from 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
- Location: Nursing Center, Elliot Hospital, 1 Elliot Way, Manchester, N.H. The parking lot is outside the cafeteria entrance.
- Registration: For a more positive experience, class size is limited and registration is required. Call Nancy at (603) 695-2830. Family members are welcomed and encouraged.
Total Joint Replacement Class
Our orthopaedic nurses give a presentation of what to expect before, during and after their surgery. A Physical Therapy representative and an Orthopaedic Discharge Planner also speak to the group. Questions are welcome.
- Dates: The first and third Thursday of each month, from 2:30 - 4:00 p.m.
- Location: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Nashua East Center Conference Room
- Registration: This class is for patients who have already seen their physicians in consultation for their total joint replacement surgery. For more information, please contact the Department of Orthopaedics at (603) 577-4340.