Parkinson's Comfort Project
The Parkinson's Comfort Project works to support and empower caregivers and people with Parkinson's through education, networking and outreach programs. They give presentations to gatherings from support groups to symposiums and are always eager to hear the stories of caregivers and people with Parkinson's. In addition to giving presentations, the Parkinson's Comfort Project participates in Parkinson's Awareness Month and other awareness raising activities.
The cornerstone of the Parkinson's Comfort Project is its Comfort Quilt program. These lap-sized quilts are handmade by quilters for people with Parkinson's to provide warmth and comfort. If you are a person with Parkinson's, a caregiver or know someone with Parkinson's, visit the Parkinson's Comfort Project's website (www.ParkinsonsComfort.org) and click on the "Comfort Quilts" link to see the quilts available. If you are a quilter who would like to donate a quilt to be distributed by the Parkinson's Comfort Project, here are some guidelines:
- Parkinson's patients experience a loss of strength as the disease progresses so lap-sized quilts are key to this effort.
- The most useful quilts are rectangular in shape, no wider than 36 inches and no longer than 60 inches.
- Please use soft cotton or flannel fabrics.
- Use washable batting, preferably all cotton so that it will safely survive washing and drying.
- Quilt in a medium-heavy way. These quilts could get some heavy use or may be in homes where there are pets so tying or looser, decorative quilting may not stand up to possible wear and tear.
The Parkinson's Center at DHMC has partnered with the Parkinson's Comfort Project so both organizations may better serve the Parkinson's community in New Hampshire and Vermont.
To learn more about the Parkinson's Comfort Project, and to see their available Comfort Quilts, visit their website at www.ParkinsonsComfort.org or email them at ParkinsonsComfort@gmail.com
- About the Parkinson's Center
- About Parkinson's Disease
- Parkinson's Support Groups
- Parkinson's Wellness Program
- Clinical Trials
- Parkinson's Companion Newsletter
- Parkinson's Center Brochure (PDF)
- Lending Library
- Parkinson's Comfort Project
- How You Can Help
- Related Links
- Our Team
- More Appointment Information