How Do We Get This Data?
The quality and safety data we show on this website is primarily from publicly available sources, such as Medicare’s Hospital Compare website.
- Number of patients treated – CMS Hospital Compare
- Readmission rate – CMS Hospital Compare
- Mortality rate – CMS Hospital Compare
- Case Mix Index – Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Inpatient Patient Experience – CMS Hospital Compare
- Infection data – CMS Hospital Compare
The federal government (Medicare) rates hospitals using this gathered data. Third-party organizations also rate and rank hospitals. We have looked at many of these organizations’ methods and found Consumer Reports® (CR) to be the most independent, reliable and effective. Its formatting is also widely recognized by the general public and is easier and quicker to understand.
Medicare and Consumer Reports ratings of Dartmouth-Hitchcock can be reviewed here:
We have used this data to compare our performance to other hospitals, choosing academic medical centers in New England that are of a similar size, to show how we compare to hospitals that are like Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.