Tests & Treatments
For more information regarding Rheumatology services in Keene, visit their website at Cheshire Medical Center / Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene Rheumatology.
The Section of Rheumatology offers several diagnostic tests and procedures, including:
- Hyaluronic acid injection: An arthritis treatment that injects joints with synthetic joint fluid. This treatment may postpone the need for surgery at least temporarily and improve the quality of life for arthritis patients.
- Joint Aspiration: This test may be performed when there is unexplained pain, inflammation of a joint, or suspected infection in a joint. A sample of fluid is removed from the joint with a needle or in the operating room and examined in the laboratory.
- Methotrexate injections: This treatment partially suppresses the activity of the immune system and so decreases inflammation.
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound: Musculoskeletal ultrasound is a noninvasive imaging test used to diagnose a variety of problems involving joints, tendons, ligaments and muscles. Ultrasound is a safe and painless procedure in which a small transducer (probe) is placed on the skin which sends sound waves into the tissues. The sound waves then bounce back and produce an image of the structure being examined.
- Open Muscle Biopsy: The removal of a small piece of muscle tissue for examination, performed to differentiate between nerve and muscle disorders or to detect diseases including those of the connective tissue and blood vessels.
- Synovial Biopsy: A sample of tissue lining a joint is examined for bacterial or other infections and may suggest the presence of inflammatory conditions, such as autoimmune disorders.
- Synovial Fluid Analysis: This treatment involves a battery of tests performed on joint fluid to help diagnose and treat joint-related abnormalities.
Treatments offered by the Department of Rheumatology include:
- Bone Densitometry (DXA)
- DMARD therapy for rheumatoid arthritis
- Immunosuppressive therapies
- Intra-articular (joint) injections
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound