Vasculitis is inflammation of blood vessels that may cause damage, blockage, blood clots, or other symptoms.
The Section of Rheumatology treats a range of vasculitis-related diseases and conditions, including:
- Allergic or Hypersensitivity Vasculitis: hypersensitivity to a drug or foreign agent that leads to inflammation and damage to blood vessels of the skin
- Behcet's disease: a rare disorder that can cause mouth and genital ulcers, eye abnormalities, and skin lesions, as well as inflammation of joints, blood vessels, or the brain and spinal cord
- Churg-Strauss syndrome: a rare disorder that can affect the lungs, as well as other organ systems, that can involve the formation of large numbers of antibodies, nodular lesions, clustering of white blood cells, and inflammation of blood vessels
- Giant Cell or Temporal Arteritis: a disorder involving inflammation and damage to blood vessels, particularly the large or medium arteries that branch from the external carotid artery of the neck
- Henoch-Schonlein Purpura: a disease characterized by purple spots on the skin, joint pain, gastrointestinal symptoms, and glomerulonephritis (a type of kidney disorder)
- Polyarteritis Nodosa: a serious blood vessel disease in which small and medium-sized arteries become swollen and damaged
- Polymyalgia Rheumatica: a disorder involving pain and stiffness in the hip or shoulder area
- Takayasu Arteritis: an inflammation of the aorta and its major branches. It may cause decreased or absent pulse in the wrist and usually occurs in children and women younger than 30.
- Wegener's Granulomatosis: a rare disorder that causes blood vessels in the nose, sinuses, ears, lungs, and kidneys to become swollen and inflamed. The eyes, skin, and joints may also be affected and arthritis occurs in about half of all cases.
- Bone Disease
- Back-Related Disorders
- Connective Tissue Disease
- Other Rheumatic Conditions
- Tests & Treatments
- Lebanon Clinics, Centers, & Programs
- Clinical Trials
- Related Links
- Our Team
- More Appointment Information