In This Section
Heart Health Year Round
While February is designated as Heart Month, it’s important to take care of your heart all year round. Here are some tips for doing so from Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Heart and Vascular Center.
- Aim for 30 minutes daily of brisk walking, biking or swimming.
- Stay active throughout the day. Get up from your desk, chair or couch every hour.
- Quitting is the single most important thing you can do for your health.
- Read food labels.
- Limit food and drinks with added sugars.
- Stay away from fried foods.
- Drink lots of water.
- Include a vegetable and fruit with every meal.
- Avoid processed meals.
- Make your plate a rainbow: include foods like salmon, sweet potatoes, kale, peppers and strawberries.
- Deep breathe
- Practice relaxation
- Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep.