Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain
Andrea Z-Covey and Belinda B. Ray
This program runs for six sessions: every Monday from October 28 to December 2.
Developed at Stanford University, this evidence-based, six-week interactive workshop was designed to enhance treatments already in place for participants dealing with chronic pain. The program, facilitated by two trained leaders, teaches participants a host of skills needed to manage their health while staying active and involved in their own lives. Some topics to be discussed in the workshop include:
1) techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, isolation, and poor sleep;
2) appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance;
3) appropriate use of medications;
4) communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals;
6) pacing activity and rest;
and 7) how to evaluate new treatments.