Colon, Rectal, and Anal Cancer Program
Our expert surgical team offers state-of-the-art treatment for cancers of the colon, rectum, and anus, including up-to-date clinical trials and a range of surgical treatments including robotic, laparoscopic, and open approaches. We also offer care for rare cancers of the lower gastrointestinal tract such as neuroendocrine tumors, sarcomas, and melanomas. We work closely with our colleagues in the Gastrointestinal Oncology Program to provide the right treatment for you.
Tests and procedures
On your first visit, you may have a physical exam, which could include an examination of the lower part of the colon, rectum, and anus using a small scope. In addition, your doctor may want to get more information through blood tests, ultrasound, CT (computerized tomography) scan, or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan. We understand that some procedures and tests required for diagnosis are uncomfortable. We will do our best to ensure your comfort during the process.
Treatment and recovery
Depending on the type and stage of cancer you have, your treatment may include chemotherapy (cancer-fighting drugs), radiation, surgery, or some combination of these. We work closely with medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, and other providers at our medical center to make sure you get the best care for your condition.
Surgical recovery time will depend on the type of surgery you have and whether you are also undergoing medical treatments, such as chemotherapy or radiation. We will make sure you have the resources and information you need to return to health as quickly as possible.
- American Cancer Society
- Anal cancer information from the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS)
- Colon Cancer information from the ASCRS
- Colorectal Cancer Screening at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
- Gastrointestinal Oncology Program at Norris Cotton Cancer Center
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- Norris Cotton Cancer Center (NCCC)
- Rectal Cancer information from the ASCRS
- Colon and Rectal Surgery Team
- Treatments and Services
- Patient Support and Education
- Appointments and Referrals