Colon and Rectal Surgery Patient Support and Education
We understand that the experience of receiving a diagnosis and treatment is not just medical—it is also personal. Having accurate information and knowing where to find support and resources can help the process go more smoothly, for you and your family.
Support and services
We offer a range of patient- and family-centered services and resources from the moment of diagnosis, throughout treatment, and beyond:
- Accessing health records: Use the secure myD-H portal to access your electronic health record, including information about test results, past medical appointments, surgical procedures, hospitalizations, prescriptions, allergies, immunizations, and more.
- Billing and charges: Get help with billing, insurance, and financial assistance.
- Oncology nutrition services: Work with dietitians who are certified specialists in oncology nutrition to support patients and caregivers in managing symptoms and side effects of treatment.
- Ostomy care: For more information about stomas and ostomies, please visit the ostomy team's website.
- Palliative care: Get holistic support from our palliative care team, which works closely with patients, their loved ones, and their health care team.
- Patient and Family Support Services: Access free programs to enhance the well-being of patients with cancer and their caregivers, including yoga and exercise classes, a range of programs, support groups, healing arts, and creative arts.
- Sharing difficult decisions: Get help with making difficult health care decisions.
We encourage you to visit the following resources about colon and rectal surgery:
- American Cancer Society: Funding and conducting cancer research, sharing expert information, supporting patients, and spreading the word about prevention
- CancerCare: The leading national organization provides free, professional support services and information to help people manage the emotional, practical, and financial challenges of cancer
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation: A non-profit organization dedicated to finding the cures for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, and to improving the quality of life of those affected by these diseases
- Ileostomy Pre-Operative Education Series: This five-part video series provides patients and caregivers with an overview of ileostomy care, maintenance, and practical considerations for life with an ileostomy
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN): Improving the quality, effectiveness, and efficiency of cancer care to help patients live better lives
- Patient Resource Library—American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeon (ASCRS): Educational videos for patients with diseases and conditions related to the colon, rectum, and anus
- United Ostomy Associations of America: Promotes quality of life for people with ostomies and continent diversions through information, support, advocacy, and collaboration
Video: Treatment of hemorrhoids
In this video, Eric Milanese, PA-C, discusses some simple ways to treat and prevent hemorrhoids at home.
Video: Diverticulosis and diverticulitis
In this video, Eric Milanese, PA-C, discusses how you can treat diverticular disease at home.