Please follow these instructions, because they will help us give you an easier and more thorough colonoscopy.
The day before your colonoscopy
- 8:00 am Eat a light breakfast. You may have eggs, white toast, and a plain bagel. No nuts, raisins or fruit.
- After breakfast you will be following a clear liquid diet. You
can eat any of the following:
- Broth or bouillon
- Black tea or coffee (you may have sugar)
- Apple juice
- White grape juice
- Ginger ale
- Plain Jell-O (gelatin)
- You may not have any solid food, including butter, cream, fruit, vegetables, seeds, or nuts. Eat or drink nothing that is dark red or purple, such as in juices, Jell-O, or popsicles.
4:00 pm Start drinking the cleansing
preparation, NuLytely. It is very helpful to add Crystal Light to
the NuLytely to flavor it. Crystal Light comes in several flavors,
so you may wish to try a flavor in a single glass of NuLytely to
find one you like, before flavoring the entire gallon. Drink one
glass of the NuLytely every 10-15 minutes. You may stop for 30 to
60 minutes if you feel very full, and then resume drinking the
NuLytely. When you are finished, you should be passing clear fluid
when you move your bowels.
It is best if you drink at least part of the NuLytely??4 to 6 glasses??the morning before your test. Finish the liquid 1 to 1-1/2 hours before leaving the house. But if you are traveling a distance and you are to arrive at the hospital for your colonoscopy between 7 and 9 a.m., drink all of the NuLytely the evening before your procedure.
If you are to arrive for your colonoscopy between 10 a.m. and noon, drink 3/4 of the NuLytely the evening before your procedure and the remaining 1/4 the morning of your colonoscopy.
If you are to arrive between 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm for your colonoscopy, drink half of the NuLytely the evening before your procedure and the remaining half the morning of your colonoscopy.
Day of your colonoscopy
- Do not eat breakfast. You may have clear liquids until you arrive at the hospital the morning of your procedure.
- It is especially important that you drink enough NuLytely on the morning of your test so that you will be passing clear or very light yellow fluid before the test.
- Why Have a Colorectal Cancer Screening?
- Types of Colorectal Cancer Screening Tests
- Before Your Colonoscopy
- During Your Colonoscopy
- After Your Colonoscopy
- Risks and Complications
- Insurance Information
- Clinical Trials
- Related Links
- More Appointment Information