It is important to think about medical insurance when looking for a first job or when seeking a job with a new employer. It's an excellent idea to evaluate the medical plan offered by the employer, check out the type of benefits included in the policy, and learn about the employer's policy limitations.
Here are some questions/issues to consider when looking at insurance benefits:
- Are you able to choose which doctor you see?
- What sort of coverage does the policy have for prescriptions or for durable medical equipment ("DME" means things like oxygen, insulin pumps, etc.)
- Is there a limit on how much can be spent annually for prescriptions or for DME?
- Is case management available through the insurer?
Working with your CF social worker and your insurance case manager whenever possible and educating your insurer about cystic fibrosis also helps create a positive relationship with your insurance provider.
Links to insurance resources and information:
- Insurance Issues for Youth with CF- from the Stanford CF Center website
- State of New Hampshire Insurance Department
- New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services
- Special Programs
- COPD Clinic
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Interventional Pulmonology
- Neuromuscular Clinic
- Pulmonary Function Testing Lab (PFT)
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program (DHMC)
- Clinical Trials
- Our Team
- More Appointment Information