Hair Disorders and Hair Loss
Hair loss and hair disorders are a broad category of conditions that affect the scalp and other hair-bearing areas of the body.
Hair by nature is an extension of ourselves and is an essential expression of who we are. Thus, hair loss can have a tremendous psychosocial impact on the patients it affects.
Although gradual hair loss is a normal part of aging, the process can be slow and, in some cases, reversed. We offer medical management of hair loss and laser hair removal services.
Some of the common conditions we treat include:
- Alopecia Areata: A non-scarring type of hair loss that typically presents with patches of circular hair loss on the scalp, eye brows and beard
- Female pattern hair loss: A non-scarring loss of hair in woman that affects approximatley 40% of woman by the age of 50
- Hirsutism: A disorder in which adult women have excessive male pattern hair growth, irregular menstruation, acne, deepening voice, balding, and genital abnormalities
- Male pattern hair loss: A common type of patterned hair loss that affects the frontal hairline and the vertex scalp in as much as 30% of men by 30 years old and approximately 50% of men by 50
For more information about hair loss, please refer to the Hair Loss: Overview web page on the American Academy of Dermatology website.
Meet our team
Dr. Nicole Pace leads our hair loss clinic at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical center and is here to help you with your hair loss concern.
Located in Lebanon
What to expect from your appointment
We examine your skin and hair, as well as your health history, to assist in determining the cause of your hair loss. We may schedule a virtual visit before an in-person consultation to optimize your in-person visit.
If we suspect that you have alopecia, we may remove a small skin sample (biopsy) from the affected area for analysis.
We may order a blood test to rule out nutritional deficiencies. A blood test can also show a potential autoimmune condition, which can worsen or cause hair loss.
Ask for the hair disorders and hair loss clinic:
- Phone: (603) 650-3100
- Fax: (603) 650-3174
- Location: Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, One Medical Center Drive, Lebanon, NH
Hair loss appointments are typically scheduled on the:
- 4th Wednesday of the month from 1:00 to 5:00 pm
- Dermatology Teams
- Treatments and Services
- Research and Clinical Trials
- For Health Care Professionals
- Appointments and Referrals