Dilation & Curettage (D&C)
Dilation and Curettage (D&C) may be done for several reasons:
- Surgical abortion performed in the first trimester (up to 14 weeks)
- Pregnancy loss
- Incomplete miscarriage
Under local or general anesthetic, the doctor uses a suction instrument to remove the contents of the uterus.
Note: We recommend professional counseling before deciding to have this procedure.
- Sometimes, medicines such as oxytocin are given to cause uterine contractions and reduce bleeding.
- Your doctor will open your cervix and insert a small tube into the uterus. He or she will then use suction to remove the tissue from the uterus.
Reasons for the procedure
- Elective termination: You may not wish to be pregnant.
- Therapeutic abortion: The pregnancy is endangering your health.
- Birth defects: The fetus is not developing normally.
- You will probably recover within a few days, depending on how far along you are. You may have a small amount of bleeding and cramping during that time.
- There will probably be no long-term complications from this procedure.
- OB/GYN: Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Our Locations
- Annual Exams and Pap Smears
- Family Planning
- Sexual Health
- Vulvar Clinic
- Gynecology Gender Clinic
- Infections and Pelvic Pain
- Menstrual Problems
- Procedures and Surgeries
- Our Teams
- More Appointment Information