Procedures and Surgeries
If you develop particular symptoms or if your doctor notices something unusual during an exam, he or she may recommend that you undergo a gynecological procedure or surgery to diagnose or treat the problem.
Surgical technology has advanced significantly in recent years, and we are able to offer procedures that are less invasive and have quicker recovery times than ever before.
You may need a procedure or surgery if you:
- Have abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Have pelvic pain
- Have an abnormal Pap smear
- Have been diagnosed with fibroid tumors or ovarian cysts
To learn more about our gynecological procedures, please refer to the following articles.
Note: Not all of our procedures are available at all of our locations. Ask your provider for more information.
- Colposcopy: Topic about the colposcopy procedure that examines and possibly biopsies the cervix.
- Dilation & Curettage (D&C): Overview of the D&C procedure to remove the contents of the uterus.
- Endometrial Ablation: Topic about the endometrial ablation procedure, which destroys (ablates) the uterine lining, or endometrium from our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise® Health Encyclopedia website.
- Endometrial Biopsy: Details about this test when a tissue sample from the endometrium (the inside lining of the uterus) is taken and examined.
- Hysterectomy: Information about the hysterectomy surgery to take out a woman's uterus from our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise Health Encyclopedia website.
- Hysteroscopy: Topic overview of the test performed to look into the uterus to diagnose and correct some conditions.
- Laparoscopy: An overview topic about laparoscopy to find problems such as cysts, adhesions, fibroids, and infection from our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise Health Encyclopedia website.
- Loop Electrosurgical Excision Procedure (LEEP): Explains the LEEP, a common procedure performed for preinvasive disease of the cervix (dysplasia).
- Myomectomy: A definition of myomectomy, a procedure that removes uterine fibroids but does not remove the uterus.
- Sonohystogram: Describes this procedure to look at the inside of your uterus.
- Surgery for Ovarian Cysts: Explains why you might need surgery to remove ovarian cysts.
- OB/GYN: Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Our Locations
- Annual Exams and Pap Smears
- Family Planning
- Sexual Health
- Infections and Pelvic Pain
- Menstrual Problems
- Procedures and Surgeries
- Our Teams
- More Appointment Information