The Cardiac Surgery program is part of the integrated, multispecialty Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H) system. That means everyone in Cardiac Surgery works with members of Cardiovascular Medicine to run tests for heart disease. We also work with specialists in the other sections involved with heart health. As a result, our best insights, consultation, advice, and surgical skills focus on your particular situation.
We are also committed to rigorous assessment of the outcome of every procedure we perform. Our team includes a full-time data coordinator, and we report all our results to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. D-H was also a founding member of the Northern New England Cardiovascular Disease Study Group, a regional 10-hospital consortium dedicated to the continuous improvement of cardiothoracic surgery processes, risk assessments, and decision making.
This collaborative approach is further augmented by many other resources associated with D-H, including our inpatient and outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation Program and our Center for Shared Decision Making, as well as The Dartmouth Institute for Health Practice and Clinical Policy, Dartmouth's Geisel School of Medicine and more.
These are the primary treatments that we offer:
- Aortic Aneurysm Repair: Including Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Minimally Invasive Aneurysm Repair, Valve-Sparing Aneurysm Repair
- Aortic Dissection Repair: Treatment for an aortic dissection—a split, tear, or weakened area in the lining of your body's main artery.
- Aortic Valve Repair or Replacement: Including Minimally Invasive Aortic Valve Repair, Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
- Congenital Heart Defect Repair: Including Aortic Valve Repair, Atrial Septal Defect/Patent Foramen Ovale Closure, Pulmonary Valve Repair, Tetralogy of Fallot Repair, Ventral Septal Defect Repair
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts: Including Multiarterial Coronary Bypass
- Heart Rhythm Disturbance Surgery: Including Maze Procedure for Atrial Fibrillation, Pulmonary Vein Ablation
- Mitral Valve Repair: Including Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair, Bileaflet Mitral Valve Repair
- Mitral Valve Replacement: Including Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Replacement
- Pulmonary and Tricuspid Valve Repair or Replacement: Repair or replacement of the pulmonary valve or tricuspid valve.
- Our Team
- Treatments and Services
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiovascular Medicine
- Comprehensive Aortic Program
- Vascular Surgery
- Patient Support and Education
- Patient Stories and Heart Health Tips
- Research and Clinical Trials
- For Health Care Professionals
- Appointments and Referrals