Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic
Our cardiologists provide specialized care for your diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension. We provide a high level of evidence-based evaluation, medical management, and supportive care that is unique to the region.
Pulmonary hypertension is a rare disease, but usually presents with common symptoms like shortness of breath and fatigue. As a result, patients are often diagnosed after they have reached an advanced stage of the disease. A comprehensive evaluation, effective treatment strategy, expert medical management, and supportive care are important.
Our comprehensive and coordinated services
With advanced diagnostic and interventional treatment capabilities, our experienced clinical team provides care for you that meets your individual and unique needs.
You'll experience thorough evaluation through our clinic, including:
- Assessment of the underlying disease and mechanisms causing elevated pulmonary artery pressures. This is an important step in determining the best treatment approach for you.
- Coordination with you and your referring physician to gather a thorough medical history including a review of prior testing.
- Collaboration with other cardiology and pulmonary specialists to complete diagnostic testing ranging from blood work, EKG, pulmonary function testing, and echocardiography as well as more advanced tests such as invasive hemodynamic evaluation, CT scan, nuclear imaging and MRI.
Medical management and supportive care
We use a multi-disciplinary approach for your care and medical management, including:
- Careful review and discussion about all your diagnostic testing and options for medical therapy.
- Thorough review of your current medications with a careful review of response to therapy.
- Discussion of available research and clinical trials to ensure well informed patient decisions and effective treatments.
- Effective management of a complex range of drug categories and delivery methods.
- Support if you require medication authorization or financial assistance.
- Specialized nurse care managers who are able to provide you support by phone.
- Referral to the Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at DHMC or to a program closer to your home.
- Referral to Palliative Care Services to assist with complex medical decisions and facilitate conversations about goals of your care.
- Collaboration with lung transplant programs if you require transplant surgery.
Pulmonary Hypertension Support Group
The Pulmonary Hypertension Support Group meets the second Tuesday of every month, from 1:00 to 3:00 pm, in the Health Education Center (reception area 4H). For more information or to register for the support group, please call (603) 650-8070 and ask for the Nurse Care Manager, Deb Cantlin.
- Our Team
- Treatments and Services
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardiovascular Medicine
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program
- Anticoagulation Services
- Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Cardiovascular Imaging
- Heart Failure, Cardiomyopathy & Pulmonary Hypertension Program
- Interventional Cardiology & Structural Heart Disease Program
- The Preventive Cardiology & Lipid Clinic
- Sports Cardiology
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Vascular Medicine
- Comprehensive Aortic Program
- Vascular Surgery
- Patient Support and Education
- Patient Stories and Heart Health Tips
- Research and Clinical Trials
- For Health Care Professionals
- Appointments and Referrals