Hyperbaric Medicine Treatments and Services
How does the treatment work?
The hyperbaric chamber is filled to 100% oxygen and then pressurized to 2 to 2 1/2 times sea level pressure. This allows a high level of oxygen to enter your body. We have two chambers available where you are able to lie down comfortably.
How does it feel to be in the pressurized chamber?
The therapy does not hurt. You feel as if you are breathing normal air. The only way you would know the pressure is changing is by a popping feeling in your ears, similar to what you might feel in a descending airplane. We are committed to making your treatment as comfortable and relaxing as possible.
How long will treatments take?
Most patients receive about 30 therapy visits. Patients may be asked to come Monday through Friday for about six weeks. Routinely patients are here for about 2-1/2 hours, 90 minutes of it in the chamber.
Preparing for treatment
- Avoid using deodorants, hairsprays and ointments before treatment.
- Remove hearing aids, dentures, hard contact lenses, wigs, retainers, removable dental partials, and jewelry before entering the chamber.
- You will wear 100% cotton scrubs we supply while you are in the chamber.
- If you have a cold or the flu you may not be treated in the chamber that day.
- During your treatment you will lie on a padded stretcher in the hyperbaric chamber.
- We will provide pillows and blankets to make you as comfortable as possible while in the chamber.
- The therapy does not hurt. You feel as if you are breathing normal air. The only way you would know the pressure is changing is by a popping feeling in your ears, similar to what you might feel in a descending airplane. We are committed to making your treatment as comfortable and relaxing as possible.
- The average treatment time from start to finish may be up to two hours.
- You can listen to music or perhaps enjoy a video or TV show. Many patients choose to listen to a book on tape while in the chamber.
- A hyperbaric specialist will be interacting with you all the time during treatment, answering your questions and monitoring your treatment.
During your course of therapy
- We will be very involved with both you and your physician during your course of therapy.
- In general, most patients receive therapy five days a week for several weeks. This will vary according to your specific needs.
- We recommend that you take vitamin E daily.
- If you are a wound care patient, we will also instruct you about the types of dressings and ointments that can be used during your course of therapy.