Cleft Palate Surgery with Hip Graft (Post-Operative Instructions)
- No chewing of any sort until you are seen at your post-operative visit 2 to 3 weeks after your surgery
- You can eat foods the consistency of applesauce and pudding (use a blender) and follow food with water to prevent foods from sticking to the stitches and to keep the mouth clean
- No straws
- No toothbrushes in the area of surgery. You can brush lower teeth and back upper teeth opposite surgical site only. We will look at surgical site at your post-operative office visit to let you know when you can brush other areas.
- 3 days after surgery you can begin mild rinsing with warm salt water, (dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of table salt in 8 ounces of warm water.) Continue to rinse after all meals with salt water solution and at bedtime.
- Ice to surgical side of face first day after surgery and early second day only. Do not touch surgical site in mouth with your fingers. Using your tongue is okay, but do not play with the stitches. Do not pull at stitches. They will come out on their own.
- No nose blowing. A moustache dressing for nasal bleeding if needed. (Fold in half 3x3 gauze or 4 x 4 gauze under nose and tape to face.)
- Keep hip bandage dry. You may remove overlying clear dressing in 5 to 7 days. Do not remove the steri-strip bandages over the incision. They will curl. Get help if needed to trim the curled edges.
- No contact sports/gym for 3 months from date of surgery
- No underwater swimming for 2 months from date of surgery
- You will be out of school for one week after date of surgery
- Okay to run or ride a bike 5 to 6 weeks following surgery
- No baths, showers okay but keep bandages dry
- Crutches as determined and reviewed by Physical Therapy
- Okay to walk upstairs slowly
- Antibiotic as ordered
- Pain medication as ordered
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the office.