Emmi® Patient Education
What is Emmi?
Emmi is a company that specializes in patient engagement and education. Since 2013 they have partnered with Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H) to provide tools patients and caregivers can use to become active participants in their care. Emmi provides interactive, web-based presentations that guide patients through an animated overview of appropriate medical information to help them prepare for a procedure or manage a chronic condition.
Learn More: Watch "Multi-Media Education Reduces Colonoscopy Fears"
Frequently Asked Questions
- Programs provided by Emmi are designed to educate patients about their medical conditions (risks and benefits of treatment, and what to expect before, during and after a procedure)
- Programs also give tips and advice on how to manage chronic illness
- Gives the patient the opportunity to drive their own outcomes, such as scheduling appointments, updating medical records, etc.
- Patients become more informed in their own care, can ask more pointed questions at their appointments
In addition to programs designed to educate patients about their medical conditions, medical procedures and tips on how to manage chronic illness, Emmi also has decision aid programs.These programs are useful when there is more than one way to treat a condition, or you have a choice whether or not to have a medical test. Decision aids give you information on options available and help you to think about what is important to you when you make your health care choices. An Emmi decision aid may be prescribed for you to view before or after your appointment.
- Helps you understand your care
- Emmi programs are designed to help you and can be viewed in the comfort of your own home or anywhere that has internet access. Each program takes about 20 minutes to watch and you can share them with your family and friends.
- Helps you manage your health
- Emmi calls will help you schedule screenings like mammograms or colonoscopies and receive immunizations like the flu shot. Here's what a call from us will sound like:
- Helps you stay healthy and out of the hospital
- Emmi calls provide discharge information and let your doctor know how you’re doing in case you may need extra help. Here's what a call from us will sound like:
Yes. Emmi abides by the requirements under the federal regulation known as the Privacy Rule under HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) to maintain the privacy of your health information.
No, Emmi is not mandatory, and is only meant to supplement and better understand the care you’re already receiving at D-H. You can opt out at any time.
There are several ways in which you may be contacted to view an Emmi program. An email may be sent directly from Emmi to you with a link and an access code or you may receive a phone call from Emmi with an access code. Another option is that during a recent visit or phone call with your health care team, you may have been given an 11-digit access code to view an Emmi program.
Access the programs that have been handpicked for you based on your upcoming procedure or medical condition. Enter your access code to activate your programs online at Emmi Online.
Not all programs require a referral and access code from your health care team. If you are interested in viewing a program on patient safety, what to expect when visiting D-H, or why getting a flu vaccine is important, click here and get started right away.