For Health Care Professionals
Guidelines for patient scheduling for referring providers
For Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) providers
- A referral and a complete order need to be submitted prior to scheduling patients.
- Any provider requesting infusion therapy services in the Medical Infusion clinic must be on campus and easily accessible by pager. If the provider is unable to be on campus, a designated covering provider is needed. The provider responsible for care of the patient during an infusion must be clearly identified on the orders (pager number).
- For patients requiring blood transfusions: obtaining transfusion consent and 'Type and Screen' are the responsibility of the ordering provider prior to scheduling.
- Labs needed prior to treatment must be obtained in the lab drawing area. If labs are not needed prior to treatment, the Medical Infusion staff does have the ability and supplies to obtain labs from PICCs and Mediports.
For all other providers
Please contact the specialty service provider at DHMC to coordinate a plan of care. Once the plan of care is established the DHMC provider will submit a referral and an order to Medical Infusion to schedule treatment. We practice collaboratively with referring departments which enables us to provide the best care.
- Gastroenterology/ Hepatology
- Hypertension/ Nephrology
- General Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics/ Gynecology
- Outpatient Parenteral Antibiotic Therapy (OPAT)/ Infectious Disease
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- Pediatric Neurology
- Transplant Surgery