Neurology Memory Clinic Treatments and Services
Your initial evaluation helps us understand the factors or conditions causing changes in your memory or behavior. During this evaluation we will:
- Review your medical records
- Interview you to gather a detailed history of symptoms
- Give you a physical and neurological (brain function) examination
- Refer you to other departments for additional tests, if needed
Neurology Memory Clinic tests
As part of your evaluation, we may perform or refer you for the following tests:
- Cognitive (memory) testing
- Laboratory testing
- Neuroimaging testing including:
- Computed tomography (CT) scan, which uses X-rays to make detailed pictures of structures inside of the body
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), where images are taken using a special machine that contains a strong magnet; this is helpful to get more detailed information about a specific area of the body, such as the brain.
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan, which is a type of test that uses a special type of camera and a tracer (radioactive substance) to look at organs in the body.
Neurology Memory Clinic treatments
We provide the following treatments:
- Medical management: Our team can help decide what types of medications may be helpful to keep your symptoms under control.
- Referrals: We may refer you to other departments within Dartmouth-Hitchcock to help with your symptoms.
- Occupational and other therapy: Occupational therapists and speech and language pathologists can help you maintain your everyday function and language or voice control.
- Cognitive (nemory) testing: We may do some memory testing at your appointments.
- Neuropsychological testing: In some cases, we may need to refer you for in-depth neuropsychological testing.