Conditions and Concerns
Listed below are genetic conditions and other issues we cover in our screenings. You can also read more about pregnancy-related conditions, or conditions that cause other concerns.
- Choroid Plexus Cysts: Information about Choroid plexus cysts (CPCs), which are fluid-filled sacs (cysts) in the choroid plexus, the part of the brain that makes cerebrospinal fluid, which coats the spinal cord and brain.
- Down Syndrome: A topic overview of down syndrome on our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise® Health Encyclopedia website.
- Echogenic Bowel: Details about an echogenic bowel, an unusually bright appearance of the baby's bowel on an ultrasound.
- Echogenic Cardiac Focus: A description of echogenic cardiac focus (ECF), also known as echogenic chordae.
- Hydronephrosis/ Pelviectasis: Information about hydronephrosis, also known as pyelectasis or pelviectasis.
- Intrauterine Growth Restriction: Details about intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR), a condition in which a baby is smaller than expected for its gestational age.
- Miscarriage: A topic overview of the loss of a pregnancy during the first 20 weeks from our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise Health Encyclopedia website.
- Nuchal Fold Thickening: A description of the condition, which is an increased thickness of the skin at the base of a fetus's neck.
- Polyhydramnios: A description, list of causes, how to diagnose, and the impact the condition may have on your pregnancy.
- Single Umbilical Artery: Information about when an unborn baby has a single umbilical artery.
- Spina Bifida: Topic overview of spina bifida, a type of birth defect called a neural tube defect from our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise Health Encyclopedia website.
- Ventriculomegaly: Description of a condition of an enlargement of the lateral ventricles, the fluid-filled spaces normally found in each side of the brain.