Research shows that breastfeeding gives your baby the best start in life.
Benefits for babies
- Breastfed babies receive the best start with nutrition.
- Breastmilk changes as your baby grows and provides just the right amount of nutrients.
- Breastmilk protects your baby’s intestinal tract from infection.
- Breastmilk reduces the risk of childhood diabetes.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) Statistics reveal that for every 87 deaths from SIDS, only 3 are breastfed.
- Breastfeeding promotes facial structure development, enhanced speech, and straighter teeth.
- Breastfed infants have higher IQ's and better brain growth.
- Breastfed babies enjoy a special warm bonding and emotional relationship with their mothers.
Benefits for moms
- Breastfeeding helps the uterus contract to control bleeding after childbirth.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast, ovarian, cervical, and endometrial cancers.
- Breastfeeding reduces the risk of low iron in the blood.
- Women who have breastfed for 12 months or more have stronger, thicker bones with less chance of hip fracture later in life.
- Breastfeeding helps the mother's body return to its pre-pregnancy weight faster.
- Mothers who breastfeed develop a special emotional relationship and bonding with their child.
- Breastmilk is free. Artificial milks cost $1,500 to $2,000 the first year of a baby’s life.
- Breastfed babies are sick less which decreases healthcare costs to your family in health care provider office visits, prescriptions, over the counter medicine purchases, and hospitalizations.
- Breastfeeding moms miss less time off from work due to child-related illnesses.