Patient Support and Education
Please refer to the following guidebooks and videos for helpful information related to orthopaedic conditions and treatments.
- ACL Reconstruction Guidebook (PDF): This guidebook provides information on how to prepare for ACL reconstruction at DHMC (Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center). Throughout this guidebook, you will see tips from one of our ACL patients, Sarah Fittro. We hope you will find inspiration and helpful guidance from someone who has been through this surgery and recovery.
- ACL Surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (4 videos): This four-part video series describes the ACL surgical experience, including how to prepare yourself and your home prior to surgery and what to expect after surgery, especially in regards to rehabilitation. Please note that your experience may differ slightly depending on which Dartmouth-Hitchcock orthopaedic team you see. However, the process is largely the same for all ACL reconstruction patients.
- Aircast® Boot (PDF): This guide provides information on how to adjust to wearing an Aircast Boot to protect your injured leg from further injury.
- Cast Care Tips (PDF): This guide provides general cast care tips after you've been given a cast made of plaster or fiberglass to help your injured bone heal.
- Distal radius fractures: Learn about treatment options for this common type of break. Plus, learn about advancements in using the plating/screw approach that allows you to immediately use your hand.
- Scaphoid fractures: See what a scaphoid fracture looks like and learn about a procedure that does not require casting.
- Hip Replacement Guidebook (PDF): This guidebook describes what your journey will be like when you have hip replacement surgery at DHMC. Tips are included from one of our joint replacement patients on how to prepare for surgery and manage your recovery.
- Knee Replacement Guidebook (PDF): This guidebook helps you through your journey when you decide to have knee replacement surgery at DHMC. Sections include getting ready for surgery, what to expect the day of surgery, physical therapy during your stay at the hospital, and guidelines when you're home after surgery.
- Nutritional Guidelines for Adolescent Athletes (PDF): This guide provides dietary recommendations for adolescents from dietitians at Dartmouth-Hitchcock.
- Fundamental Exercises for the Overhead Athlete (PDF): This guidebook provides exercises to help an athlete who is prone to injury due to the motion performed in overhead sports, such as baseball, javelin throwing, tennis, and volleyball.
- Self-Help for Rotator Cuff Injuries: This video provides information about self-help treatments for rotator cuff injuries.
- Shoulder Injuries 101: Prevention and Treatment (8 videos): This video is part of our "Performance Plus" Lecture Series for coaches, parents of athletes, athletes, emergency personnel, and anyone who works with athletes.
- Shoulder Replacement Guidebook (PDF): This guidebook prepares you for shoulder replacement surgery at DHMC. It includes helpful information, such as preparing your body for surgery, what to pack for the hospital, and making changes in your home to prepare for your limited mobility after surgery.
- The Benefits of Physical Therapy: This video describes how physical therapists help the sports patient.
- Handling Recovery After a Sports Injury: This video discusses how to handle recovery after a sports injury.
- Proper Bicycle Fitting: This video demonstrates how to properly fit your bike to your body.
- Stretching Exercises for Athletes (PDF): This guidebook provides stretching exercises for athletes of all ages to improve flexibility and strength.
- When Should You See a Specialist?: This video discusses when it's the right time to see a sports medicine specialist.
Total joint replacement
- Total Joint Replacement at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (17 videos): This series of short videos explains how to prepare for total joint replacement surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock and describes the recovery and healing process.