What is Emmi?
Emmi programs are web-based video programs that take complex medical information and make it easy for you and your family to understand.
Emmi has over 1,000 video programs about surgeries, health conditions like diabetes, and lots more. You can view these programs online for free. They are available in English and español (Spanish).
- The video programs may be automatically ordered for you if you need to have a surgery or will be staying at the hospital.
- Videos can also be ordered just for you by your health care team.
- You may be given a special website to watch a video.
- You can also watch some sample videos on the our Emmi website.
Let's get started!
To watch Emmi programs, all you need is a browser and an internet connection.
Use the following steps to view an Emmi program:
- Visit our Emmi website.
- If you want to receive an access code, enter your email address and phone number in the "Enter Patient Information" section.
An access code allows you to finish watching the video later if you need to stop before the end. It also allows Emmi to send you reminders to finish watching the video.
Note: Entering your email address and phone number is optional. You can watch the videos without providing these.
- Under "Choose a Program," select the program you want to view.
- Click View Program.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to choose your language and read the disclaimer. The program will play in your browser window.
Frequently asked questions
Why watch an Emmi program?
- Are designed to educate you about your medical conditions (risks and benefits of treatment, and what to expect before, during and after a procedure)
- Provide tips and advice on how to manage chronic illness
- Give you the opportunity to drive your own outcomes, such as scheduling appointments, updating medical records, etc.
- Help you become more informed about your own care so that you can ask more pointed questions at their appointments
How can Emmi help me make an informed health care decision?
In addition to programs designed to educate patients about their medical conditions, medical procedures and tips on how to manage chronic illness, Emmi also has decision aid programs.These programs are useful when there is more than one way to treat a condition, or you have a choice whether or not to have a medical test.
Decision aids give you information on options available and help you to think about what is important to you when you make your health care choices. An Emmi decision aid may be prescribed for you to view before or after your appointment.
How can Emmi help me?
Emmi helps you understand your care
Emmi programs are designed to help you and can be viewed in the comfort of your own home or anywhere that has internet access. Each program may last from 2 to 40 minutes, depending on the content.
Emmi helps you manage your health
Emmi calls will help you schedule screenings like mammograms or colonoscopies and receive immunizations like the flu shot. Here's what a call from us will sound like:
Emmi helps you stay healthy and out of the hospital
Emmi calls provide discharge information and let your doctor know how you’re doing in case you may need extra help. Here's what a call from us will sound like:
Is my health information still safe when I use Emmi?
Yes. Emmi abides by the requirements under the federal regulation known as the Privacy Rule under HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) to maintain the privacy of your health information.
Do I have to watch the Emmi video?
Most of the time, you can choose if you want to watch the Emmi videos ordered by your health care team. Your health care provider just wants you to better understand your surgery, hospital visit, or medical issue.
Some departments, like Plastic Surgery, may want you to watch an Emmi video before they do a surgery or procedure. They will let you know if you have to watch the Emmi video.
If you have watched the video before, or just don’t want to watch it, just ignore the messages from Emmi. They will stop in a few weeks.
How do I use Emmi?
The Emmi company may contact you in your patient portal (myDH) or by text, email, or phone to view an Emmi program.
The message from Emmi will give you their website address and an internet link to watch the programs your health care provider wants you to watch. The message may also include an 11-digit access code.
Some things to know:
- Most times you will need to enter the 11-digit access code that Emmi sends you and your date of birth in order to watch the program. Entering this information helps your provider check to see if you watched the program.
- Most of the time there will be a view by date. But you do have a grace period of 2 weeks after the view by date to view your video. After that, you will not be able to watch the program without it being re-ordered for you
- If you need help with your access code or viewing the program, contact Emmi support by calling 1-866-294-3664 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (English or español).