Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H) is the largest private employer in New Hampshire with more than 10,000 full - and part-time employees throughout New Hampshire and Vermont. The mission of Dartmouth Hitchcock’s Live Well/Work Well program is to provide our employees with the tools they need to achieve optimal health and well-being.
Through our Live Well/Work Well program, D-H offers a variety of free programs — including wellness coaching, online resources, employee assistance, health screenings, immunizations, work injury case management, and education on nutrition, exercise, stress management, ergonomics and other topics. D-H also offers safety and injury prevention training and education to help keep our employees safe while they are at work. And, we strive to make health and wellness fun through engaging activities such as our Well-Being Fair and fitness challenges.
At D-H, we believe that healthy employees help create a healthy community. Our program gives our employees the education and support they need to navigate life’s challenges, so they are ready and able to provide outstanding care for our patients.
Edyta J. Domian, MHM, MBA
Director of Operations, Live Well/Work Well and Occupational Medicine
About Live Well/Work Well
D-H’s Live Well/Work Well program is designed to help D-H employees pursue personal well-being through a variety of initiatives, including:
- Health Coaching. One-on-one Health Coaching sessions are available in-person and by phone on a variety of health topics, including fitness, lifestyle, nutrition, smoking cessation, sleep, self-care and more. Coaches provide motivation, support and accountability for D-H employees who are looking to make positive lifestyle changes.
- Health screenings. Health screenings include cholesterol, blood glucose, blood pressure, measurements (height, weight and waist circumference), health coaching and an introduction to the ManageWell wellness portal.
- ManageWell. ManageWell is an online wellness portal and app that helps D-H employees manage their health.
- Tips of the Month. From recipes to mindfulness to movement, Tips of the Month emails motivate D-H employees to work toward their wellness goals.
- Wellness Wagon. The Wellness Wagon is an on-the-go cart that delivers monthly, themed wellness messages to departments across the DHMC campus.
- Days of Well. Days of Well is a monthly calendar for D-H employees that promotes daily healthy choices and habits.
- Eating Well. D-H offers nutrition education through 20-minute webinars, monthly food tastings and access to onsite CSA delivery and farm-fresh produce for purchase.
- Moving Well. Fitness challenges designed to help D-H employees move more and build flexibility, while fitness coaching and fitness testing provide more personalized support. Onsite fitness rooms and fitness trails are available at certain D-H locations.
- Ergonomics Works. D-H offers an ergonomics program designed to reduce the risk of repetitive strain injuries by educating employees on stretching, strengthening and proper body mechanics.
- Being Well. D-H offers initiatives to promote overall well-being, such as sleep coaching, mindfulness activities, stress management and one-on-one or group counseling.
- Employee Assistance Program. A comprehensive, confidential Employee Assistance Program is available to help employees cope with conflict, grief, mental health concerns and more.
- Art at Work. The Art at Work program is delivered through monthly workshops that encourage employees to take a break, relax and create art during their workday.
- Well-Being Fair. The annual Well-Being Fair includes fun, wellness-themed activities for employees, such as cooking demonstrations, games, vendors, health screenings and more.
In addition to set programs and initiatives, D-H also offers customized health and wellness services for individuals and groups. Customized programming is available by request.
The program has been very helpful to me. I've made several changes in the past and stuck with them — I've quit smoking and begun exercising. I'm just very challenged with weight and having a hard time. I think with more coaching I will be successful.D-H employee and Health Coaching participant
Health Protection for Employees
At Dartmouth-Hitchcock, it is our priority to help our employees stay safe and healthy while they are at work. That’s why we offer comprehensive treatment, case management and prevention programs tailored to work-related injuries and exposure to blood borne pathogens, toxins or infection. If an employee experiences a work-related injury, illness or exposure, we partner with specialists from the human resources, employee relations, quality and safety, and infectious disease departments to provide effective treatment and assist employees throughout the workman’s compensation process.
Our team also analyzes work-related injury, exposure and infection data to determine where safety improvements are needed. Using this information, our team partners with Employee Safety to reduce the risk of injuries — such as falls, lifting injuries or injuries as a result of violent patient behavior — by developing employee prevention education programs.
Employee Health Program Goals
- Provide D-H employees with the tools they need to achieve optimal health and well-being.
- Enable D-H employees to successfully navigate life’s challenges while providing outstanding health care services to D-H patients.
- Promote workplace safety and reduce work-related injuries, exposures and infections.
Employee Care Express
Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Employee Care Express offers walk-in urgent care services for employees who have established their primary care at D-H and experience sudden illnesses or injuries, such as cough/cold, sinus infection, back pain, sore throat or a minor wound. Employee Care Express provides D-H employees at all locations with quicker access to care at a lower cost than a visit to the Emergency Department.
Between the opening of the Employee Care Express clinic in January 2019 and the end of April 2019, our occupational medicine and primary care staff provided urgent care services to 1,173 D-H employees. By the end of June 2019, the clinic expects to serve approximately 1,800 employees.
The clinic makes me feel that D-H wants to take care of our health.D-H employee and Employee Care Express patient
Very Impressed that I was able to save time and have this available at work.D-H employee and Employee Care Express patient
By The Numbers
I just really loved the break from the cubicle existence as I sat in a sunny room and made art for a little while.D-H employee and Art at Work participant
1,173 - Number of employees served at D-H Employee Care Express locations from January 2019 to April 2019
6 - Number of D-H Employee Care Express locations
1,200 - Number of employees and family members served by the D-H Employee Assistance Program
1,392 - Number of employees who participated in the Art at Work program
533 - Number of employees across 31 D-H departments who interacted with the Wellness Wagon since August 2018
231 - Number of employees who accessed Health Coaching services in 2018
589 - Number of Health Coaching appointments conducted in 2018
87 percent - Percentage of Health Coaching clients who reported making a lifestyle change
71 percent —-Percentage of Health Coaching clients who reported maintaining their lifestyle change
Health Coaching has helped me make progressive improvements that have positively affected my nutrition and exercise habits.D-H employee and Health Coaching participant
1,000 - Number of employees who attended the annual Well-Being Fair
32 - Number of vendors at the annual Well-Being Fair
1,421 - Number of pre-placement screenings for new employees
12,525 - Total Occupational Medicine Nurse encounters
9,917 - Immunizations and titers, excluding the flu vaccine
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Facts
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Leadership
- Community Outreach
- Our Collaborations
- Population Health
- Awards and Honors
- 125th Anniversary of MHMH