Research and Clinical Trials
The Department of Psychiatry is committed to the advancement of the practice of psychiatry with a focused emphasis on new research aimed at further understanding of psychiatric disorders and their optimal treatment. Research projects span animal studies, neuroimaging, innovative effectiveness trials and health service studies.
We also conduct clinical trials to study the effectiveness of a treatment, medication, experimental drug, or device. View our list of active clinical trials below.
Members of the Department work within the Neuroscience Center at Dartmouth, a site of cutting edge translational neuroscience research, as well as within the Norris Cotton Cancer Center, the Dartmouth SYNERGY Clinical and Translational Research Institute, and the Dartmouth Institute of Health Policy and Clinical Practice.
Currently, members of our Department are conducting various research grants from federal agencies, state agencies, foundations, and industry.
The areas of study include:
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Schizophrenia (and other serious mental illness)
- Substance use
- Traumatic brain injury
- Brain Research Network: A multidisciplinary group of scientists with expertise in clinical neuroscience, neuropsychology, psychiatry, brain imaging, research design, and statistics.
- Laboratory of Translational Neuropsychopharmacology: This research group gains a better systems-neuroscience understanding of severe mental illness and substance use disorders in order to develop novel therapeutic interventions and personalizes the implementation of existing treatments to improve patients' lives.
- Neuroscience Center at Dartmouth: An interdisciplinary group whose mission is to foster collaborative and interactive research and education in the neurosciences.
- PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder) Research Group: A group that develops models, techniques, and tools to help survivors who suffer from trauma-related disorders.
A clinical trial is a research study in which people can participate. The purpose of a clinical trial is to study the effectiveness of a treatment, medication, experimental drug, or device.
The following is a list of clinical trials with which the Department of Psychiatry at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center is currently involved. Talk to your doctor to find out if a clinical trial is right for you.
- Our Team
- Treatments and Services
- Patient Support and Education
- Mental Health Stories
- Research and Clinical Trials
- For Health Care Professionals
- Appointments and Referrals