Patient Support and Education
Here are some resources for rehabilitation medicine services.
Common causes for dizziness and vertigo
When you receive treatment for balance and vestibular issues, we treat common causes of dizziness or vertigo. To learn more about these causes, please refer to the articles listed below, which take you to our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise® Health Encyclopedia website:
- Acoustic neuroma: Information about acoustic neuroma, a benign tumor on the vestibular nerve
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV): Topic overview of BPPV, describing what it is and the symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment
- Bilateral vestibular loss from ototoxic medications that can damage the vestibular system
- Dizziness: Lightheadedness and Vertigo: Overview of dizziness, including definitions of lightheadedness and vertigo and their causes
- Labyrinthitis or vestibular neuronitis (from viral infections): Information about labyrinthitis and vestibular neuritis, including causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Ménière's disease: Topic overview of Ménière's disease, which is an inner ear problem that affects your hearing and balance
- Migraine-related dizziness: Learn about migraine headaches, which are painful, throbbing headaches that can last from 4 to 72 hours
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Unilateral vestibular hypofunction
Improving your balance to avoid falls
Falling can be dangerous and lead to nursing home admission and serious injury. Falling does not have to be a normal part of aging. You can reduce your risk of falling by improving your balance. Learn about the risks of falling and some tips to build balance.
Rehbabilitation medicine exercises and resources
Here is a list of resources (PDF and websites) that include common rehabilitiation exercises.
- Dynamic Stretching for Athletes (PDF)
- Exercises to Relieve Low Back Pain
- Iliotibial Band Syndrome Strengthening Exercises (IT Band) (PDF)
- Knee Arthroscopy Strengthening Exercises (PDF)
- Preventing Overuse Injuries at Work (PDF)
- Strengthening Exercises for Hip and Knee Pain (PDF)
- Stretching Exercises for Athletes (PDF)
- Training for Winter Sports (PDF)