Here’s a quick after-school snack or an easy dinner during the hustle and bustle of the holidays.
Makes: 1 personal pizza
- 1 whole-wheat tortilla
- ⅛ teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sauce of your choice (such as marinara or pesto)
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) cheese of your choice (such as mozzarella or cheddar)
- Toppings of your choice (veggies and fruits are best)
- Position an oven rack so that it is 6-8 inches from the top broiler element. Preheat broiler on high. Preheat your pan as well: use a cast iron skillet if you have one (they heat evenly) or a baking sheet.
- Take your tortilla and drizzle oil on top. Rub oil in evenly over the tortilla. (You can use cooking spray to coat the top of the tortilla.)
- Remove preheated skillet or baking sheet from the oven. Place the tortilla onto the skillet, oiled side facing up.
- Place under broiler for about 1 minute, or until just starting to bubble and brown (toasting the tortilla first prevents it from getting soggy when you add the toppings). If you like a very crispy crust, flip tortilla over and broil about another 30 to 60 seconds. Remove from oven.
- Spread sauce evenly over the top of the now toasted tortilla. You can bring the sauce right up to the edges, or leave a small perimeter of “crust.”
- Add cheese sprinkled over top.
- Top with favorite pizza toppings.
- Broil until cheese has melted and turns golden brown in spots. This only takes a minute or two. If not quite ready, check again every 30 seconds until starting to brown. It can go from brown to burnt quickly.
Nutrition (per serving for plain cheese):
Calories 235, Total Fat 10g, Saturated Fat 4g, Carbohydrate 25g, Fiber 3.5g, Protein 11g, Sodium 540mg
Find more family-friendly recipes and healthy eating tips in the Cooking Up Health section of D-H Health and Wellness.
Heather Wolfe, MPH, RDN, LD, CHC, is a registered dietitian and certified health coach with Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Live Well/Work Well Employee Wellness Program.