Fish Tacos with Rainbow Slaw
Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Culinary Medicine Program offers a healthy version of tacos with fish and rainbow slaw as the main ingredients.
Makes: 6 servings
Serving size: approximately half a cup
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Corn tortillas (flour tortillas, either soft or hard tacos, can be used)
- 2 pounds tilapia or other white fish (about 6 filets)
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- ½ small head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ small head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup olive or canola oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- Salt and pepper
- Greek yogurt – 7 ounces., plain non-fat or low-fat
- Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Slaw: Slice cabbage, red pepper, cucumber and carrots. Toss with lime vinaigrette, add salt and pepper to taste. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes while preparing other ingredients.
- Chipotle-yogurt sauce: Mix yogurt with one diced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (or ¼ tsp chili powder), a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Tortillas: Warm tortillas briefly in oven or microwave and wrap to keep warm.
- Fish: Sprinkle salt and pepper on fish and one diced chipotle pepper with adobo sauce (or sprinkle with chili powder). Heat 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive or canola oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. In batches, brown fish on one side, turn and simmer until cooked about 5 minutes.
- Assemble: Add fish, slaw and your favorite toppings to a warm tortilla, and enjoy!
- Use a mandolin, food processor or grater to prepare the slaw. Pre-packaged slaw is a quick option.
- One bunch of cilantro, washed and de-stemmed (optional)
- Topping Ideas: Avocado, cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn (fresh or frozen)
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories 161.2, Total Fat 9.4g, Cholesterol 0.0mg, Sodium 144.6mg, Carbohydrates 19.9g, Dietary Fiber 4.4g, Protein 2.6g
Find more recipes and healthy eating tips in the Cooking Up Health section of D-H Health and Wellness.