Roast a Rainbow
Dartmouth-Hitchcock's Culinary Medicine shares their tips for roasting vegetables.
Makes: 8 cups
Serving size: 1 cup
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 large red onion
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper
- 1 small cauliflower
- ½ pound Brussel sprouts (about 20)
- ½ pound broccoli
- 2 carrots, orange and purple
- 1 squash, any variety
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Optional seasoning: ¼ teaspoon cumin, ¼ teaspoon coriander, or ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon fresh or dried herbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash vegetables and cut into similar sized pieces (no need to peel carrots and squash), or substitute any veggies you have available.
- Toss in a bowl with olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 9x13 pan (or baking sheet) for 20 to 30 minutes, until tender and slightly browned.
- Substitute your favorite vegetables
- Use favorite spices and herbs
- Add to a frittata or salad
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories 116.2, Total Fat 7.1 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Protein 3.2 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 180.2 mg, Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g, Dietary Fiber 4.8 g.
Find more recipes and healthy eating tips in the Cooking Up Health section of D-H Health and Wellness.