Spaghetti Squash with Marinara Sauce
Makes: 8 servings
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoon oregano, ground
- 2 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 2 teaspoon thyme, ground
- 1 tablespoon basil
- ⅓ cup, raw chopped carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup, raw chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped green bell peppers
- ⅓ cup, sliced zucchini
- 6 cup spaghetti squash
- ⅓ cup, sliced summer squash
- 1 can (29 oz.) pureed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Sauté vegetables in olive oil with seasonings and sweat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add tomato puree, peeled tomatoes, sugar and water to sautéed vegetables and simmer.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds, and place on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray, cut side down.
- Cook at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until the skin begins to bubble.
- Let cool until cool enough to handle.
- Remove flesh with a fork and place on a cooking sheet and drizzle with 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and bake at 325 degrees for 5-10 minutes or until desired temperature is reached.
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 150.8, Total Fat: 5.9 g, Cholesterol: 0.0 mg, Sodium: 746.8 mg, Total Carbs: 23.5 g, Dietary Fiber: 5.9 g, Protein: 3.6 g
W. David Jones is the Executive Chef for Food and Nutrition Services in the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Culinary Medicine Program.