In This Section
Heart Health Year-Round
While February is designated as Heart Month, it’s important to take care of your heart all year round. Here are some tips for doing so from Dartmouth-Hitchcock’s Heart & Vascular Center.
- Aim for 30 minutes daily of brisk walking, biking or swimming.
- Stay active throughout the day. Get up from your desk, chair or couch every hour.
- Quitting is the single most important thing you can do for your health.
- Read food labels.
- Limit food and drinks with added sugars.
- Stay away from fatty foods.
- Reduce your daily intake of salt.
- Drink lots of water.
- Include a vegetable and fruit with every meal.
- Avoid processed meals.
- Make your plate a rainbow: include foods like salmon, sweet potatoes, kale, peppers and strawberries.
- Deep breathe
- Practice relaxation
- Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep.