D-HH Supports Student Athletes at Annual Competition and Encourages Sports Safety this Summer

Photo of variety of sports balls.
Annual Granite State Games are Back and Set for Week of June 14

The Granite State Games offer young people exposure to a variety of sports. We encourage kids to play multiple sports which promotes a more well-rounded athlete and reduces the risk of sport injury. This is a great event for young athletes.

Patrick McCarthy, MHP, PA-C

The Granite State Games, sponsored by Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health (D-HH), are back for their seventh year after being canceled last year due to COVID-19. The Games are set for the week of June 14, 2021 at New Hampshire Technical Institute (NHTI) in Concord, the Westwood Branch YMCA in Nashua, and Pioneer Sportsmen Club in Dunbarton.

The Granite State Games is a Nashua, NH-based 501(c)(3) non-profit organization creating a one of a kind, multi-sport competitive event for amateur high school athletes who live or attend school in New Hampshire. The week long tournament is an outlet for athletes to showcase their skills and gain recognition from college scouts while representing their region and breaking down school rivalries. College coaches and recruiters from around New England will be in attendance scouting the area's top talent.

“The Granite State Games offer young people exposure to a variety of sports,” said Patrick McCarthy, MHP, PA-C, an athletic trainer and physician assistant in orthopedic surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (D-H) Nashua. “We encourage kids to play multiple sports which promotes a more well-rounded athlete and reduces the risk of sport injury. This is a great event for young athletes and one we are proud to sponsor.”

The Games will have four regions: Coastal, Monadnock, Lakes, and Southern. Players will try-out in their respected areas based on where they go to school or live; and if chosen, will represent their region in this Olympic style event.

Sports include Soccer (co-ed), Field Hockey (girls), Volleyball (girls), Baseball (boys), Softball (girls) and Archery (co-ed) and will include close to 500 student athletes from all over the Granite State.

The Games donate 70 percent of the proceeds back into the New Hampshire community in the form of scholarships, donations and grants, while the other 30 percent helps pay for the operation of the Games.

“Dartmouth-Hitchcock is very proud to sponsor the Granite State Games this year," said John T. Broderick, Jr. Sr. director of external affairs at D-H and The Games opening speaker. "COVID-19 has been hard on everyone these last sixteen months but having these gifted athletes return to the playing fields is something we can all look forward to.”

The Granite State Games are generously sponsored by Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health, In The Net Sports Academy, Northeast Delta Dental, Anagnost Companies, New Hampshire Orthopedic, Innovision Realty Group, TL Sports Sales, DDA Companies, Harbor Group, CMC, Eaton Berube Insurance, Seacoast Spine and Sports Injury Clinic.

For additional information, visit https://granitestategames.org/.

About Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health (D-HH), New Hampshire’s only academic health system and the state’s largest private employer, serves a population of 1.9 million across northern New England. D-HH provides access to more than 2,000 providers in almost every area of medicine, delivering care at its flagship hospital, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) in Lebanon, NH. DHMC was named again in 2020 as the #1 hospital in New Hampshire by U.S. News & World Report, and recognized for high performance in 9 clinical specialties and procedures. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health includes the Norris Cotton Cancer Center, one of only 51 NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the nation Children's Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, the state’s only children’s hospital; member hospitals in Lebanon, Keene, and New London, NH, and Windsor, VT, and Visiting Nurse and Hospice for Vermont and New Hampshire; and 24 Dartmouth-Hitchcock clinics that provide ambulatory services across New Hampshire and Vermont. The D-HH system trains nearly 400 residents and fellows annually, and performs world-class research, in partnership with the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and the White River Junction VA Medical Center in White River Junction, VT.