Common causes of PFDs include aging, pregnancy and childbirth, increasing estrogen levels, genetic factors, obesity, and conditions such as chronic cough, which can strain the pelvic floor.
Pelvic floor disorders include:
- Pelvic organ prolapse: bulging or protrusion (prolapse) of tissues of the vagina, uterus, bladder, or rectum, through the vaginal opening
- Urinary incontinence: involuntary leaking of urine including stress incontinence from pressure on the bladder, urge incontinence from an overactive bladder, overflow incontinence from over-stretching of the bladder, and mixed incontinence
- Anal or fecal incontinence: involuntary leakage of stool or gas
- Abnormal bladder emptying: difficulty with emptying the bladder
- Defecatory dysfunction: difficulty with evacuating the stool
- Fistulas: abnormal connections between tissues in the body
- Overactive bladder: the frequent need to urinate
Our team approach guarantees patients the best care available as we consult with other experts in departments such as physical therapy, surgery, or other specialized programs.
We provide services in Lebanon and Manchester, N.H.
A message from the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Manchester OB/GYN team
In order to meet the needs of our growing patient population and provide each patient with the best care, in the right place, at the right time, every time, we are happy to announce that we will be consolidating our Manchester and Bedford Obstetrics, Gynecology & Midwifery services into one convenient location, effective June 15, 2015:
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Specialty Care at Bedford Medical Park
5 Washington Place, Bedford, NH
If you have an appointment scheduled on or after June 15, 2015, your appointment will take place at 5 Washington Place in Bedford. We are excited to offer comprehensive women's health services to our patients at the Bedford site and look forward to serving you at this location.