Chief Executive Officer and President
James N. Weinstein, DO, MS
James N. Weinstein, DO, MS is the Chief Executive Officer and President of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock health system. The system includes New Hampshire's academic medical center and a network of clinics across Vermont and New Hampshire, serving a patient population of 1.5 million. Under his leadership, Dartmouth-Hitchcock is working to create a "sustainable health system" for patients, providers, payers, and communities.
Immediately prior to becoming CEO, Dr. Weinstein served as President of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Clinic and Director of The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice (TDI). His dual positions as Clinic President and TDI Director allowed him to build critical linkages between the groundbreaking health services research of TDI and the clinical care at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. During this time, he co-founded, with then Dartmouth College President Jim Yong Kim, The Dartmouth Center for Health Care Delivery Science.
Dr. Weinstein is a founding member with Mayo Clinic, Intermountain Health, TDI, and Denver Health, of the national High Value Healthcare Collaborative, a partnership of 19 health systems across the country, working to improve health care while lowering costs.
Dr. Weinstein is a leader in advancing "informed choice" to ensure patients receive evidence-based, safe, effective, efficient and appropriate care. In 1999, he established the first-in-the-nation Center for Shared Decision Making at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, where patient preferences and values are an integral part of diagnostic and treatment decisions.
He is an internationally renowned spine surgeon and health services researcher, with more than 250 published articles. He founded the multidisciplinary Spine Center at Dartmouth, which has become an international model for patient-centered health care delivery.
He is a Member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Sciences and holds the Peggy Y. Thomson Chair in the Evaluative Clinical Sciences.
- Who We Are
- Community Outreach
- World-Class Care & Research
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Leadership
- Board of Trustees
- Chief Executive Officer and President
- Chief Financial Officer
- Chief Human Resources Officer
- Chief Medical Officer
- Executive Vice President for Operations and Chief Operating Officer
- Chief Quality and Value Officer
- Chief of Staff to the CEO
- Chief Innovation Officer
- Executive Vice President for Strategy and Network Relationships
- Vice President for Development
- Interim General Counsel
- Executive Vice President of Medical Affairs, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health
- Community Group Practices Leadership
- Director, Children's Hospital at Dartmouth-Hitchcock (CHaD)
- Director, Norris Cotton Cancer Center
- Our Collaborations