Chief Executive Officer and President
Dr. James N. Weinstein
Dr. James N. Weinstein is Chief Executive Officer and President of Dartmouth-Hitchcock. The $1.7 billion system includes New Hampshire's only academic medical center and a network of clinics across Vermont and New Hampshire, serving a patient population of 1.9 million. Under his leadership, Dartmouth-Hitchcock is working to create a "sustainable health system" for the patients and communities we serve, for generations to come. He has built partnerships with disparate providers throughout northern New England, and the United States, to deliver optimum care at lowest cost to patients in the region.
Immediately prior to becoming CEO in 2011, Dr. Weinstein served as President of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Clinic and was Director of The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice (TDI), home of the Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care, which for decades has documented the ongoing variations in health care delivery across the United States. His dual positions as Clinic President and TDI Director allowed him to build critical linkages between the groundbreaking health services research of TDI and the clinical care at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, with a focus on better understanding and meeting the population health needs of the region Dartmouth-Hitchcock serves.
Dr. Weinstein is the Executive Director and a founding member, along with Mayo Clinic, Intermountain Healthcare, TDI, and Denver Health, of the national High Value Healthcare Collaborative (HVHC), a partnership of more than a dozen health systems that have taken on the challenge of improving the quality of care while lowering costs. The Collaborative allows for unprecedented data sharing, including electronic medical record data from each system, and the collection of patient reported measures.
As a researcher and internationally renowned spine surgeon, Dr. Weinstein has received more than $70 million in federal funding and has published more than 325 peer-reviewed articles. He is a leader in advancing "informed choice" to ensure patients receive evidence-based, safe, effective, efficient, and appropriate care. In 1999, he established the first-in-the-world Center for Shared Decision-Making at Dartmouth-Hitchcock. He also founded the multidisciplinary Spine Center at Dartmouth-Hitchcock, which has become an international model for patient-centered healthcare delivery and incorporates patient-reported outcomes in clinical practice, adding a new dimension to the process and clinical measurements traditionally used to judge the efficacy and value of care.
Dr. Weinstein was recently appointed by President Barack Obama to the Special Medical Advisory Group to provide advice to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs and the Under Secretary for Health on matters relating to the care and treatment of veterans. He is frequently consulted by members of Congress and the Administration, as well as government leaders in New Hampshire and Vermont, on health policy and reform.
Dr. Weinstein holds the Peggy Y. Thomson Chair in the Evaluative Clinical Sciences at the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine and serves on the organization’s Board for Population Health and Public Health Practice. He chair sits Committee on Community Based Solutions to Promote Health Equity in the U.S.
In 2015, Dr. Weinstein was awarded the Ellis Island Medal of Honor by the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations; he has been named one of "The 100 Most Influential People in Healthcare" by Modern Healthcare magazine and one of "The 50 Most Influential People in Healthcare" by Becker's Hospital Review. His book, Unraveled: Prescriptions to Repair a Broken Health Care System, was published in February, 2016.
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Facts
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock Leadership
- Board of Trustees
- Chief Executive Officer and President
- Executive Vice President, Enterprise Strategy Design and Chief Administrative Officer
- Executive Vice President, Integrated Delivery System and Chief Academic Officer
- Executive Vice President and Chief Population Health Management Officer
- System Chief Medical Officer, Dartmouth-Hitchcock and Executive Medical Director, Systems Integration
- Chief Medical Officer, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon
- Executive Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer and Interim Chief Executive Officer of Mt. Ascutney Hospital & Health Center
- Acting Chief Nursing Officer
- Chief Quality and Value Officer
- Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Executive Vice President of Operations and Chief Operating Officer
- Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer and General Council
- Deputy General Counsel
- Chief Medical Information Officer
- Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Executive Vice President and Chief Communications & Marketing Officer
- Interim Vice President for the Geisel / Dartmouth-Hitchcock Joint Development Office
- Regional Medical Director, Community Group Practices: Manchester, Concord and Nashua
- Chief Executive Officer / President, Chief Medical Officer, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Keene
- Chief Executive Officer, New London Hospital
- Community Outreach
- Our Collaborations