We understand that diversity fosters innovation and creates a welcoming and inclusive environment for our patients, colleagues, and communities. We all work better when we interact with others in a respectful and open-hearted manner.
We also understand that to appreciate individualities, nurture differences, and to cultivate and maintain a respectful work environment takes ongoing commitment and effort.
How we are cultivating a respectful work environment
- We are developing a policy on employee expression of support for civil rights.
- We have established a Diversity and Inclusion Task Force dedicated to evaluating how well we are fulfilling our stated commitment to "building and maintaining a healing patient care community that explicitly recognizes the value of human diversity."
- We are developing consistent system-wide patient and family non-discrimination policy which outlines the standards of behavior that recognizes the rich spectrum of human diversity.
- As a key member of the Healthcare Anchor Network (HAN), we are one of 38 health care systems nationwide who have signed HAN's Racism is a Public Health Crisis, and are working actively to support community health needs during COVID-19 and beyond.
Diversity and Inclusion Task Force
The Task Force is comprised of a dedicated and inclusive group of individuals from Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics. Each individual has volunteered their time and talent to move forward with this critical work.
The Task Force is committed to the following:
- A critical evaluation of how well we are fulfilling our stated commitment to all under-represented minorities, but especially black, indigenous, and people of color, by assessing patient and employee perceptions of diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics.
- Establishing a baseline understanding of current efforts that are currently under way across the system to increase diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics.
Based on the findings of this work, the Task Force will:
- Prepare a list of specific, time-bound recommendations.
- Present actions and recommendations to our system leadership.
- Ensure the enactment of actions and recommendations endorsed by our system leadership.
As the Task Force continues its work, an email has been established to allow all members of the Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center and Clinics to share suggestions about how to make this a more diverse and inclusive organization: email@example.com.