COVID-19 Testing Information
Currently, we are performing both symptomatic and asymptomatic COVID-19 testing at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) in Lebanon.
A Dartmouth-Hitchcock Health (D-HH) provider may request testing for any patient with symptoms concerning for COVID-19. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, any of the following symptoms may indicate COVID-19, if new and not explained by another health condition:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Outpatient symptomatic testing is also available for D-HH employees and their families, patients from regional Upper Valley primary care “affiliates,” and Dartmouth College employees and students.
- At DHMC, all patients being admitted to the hospital require COVID-19 surveillance testing. This includes planned as well as unplanned admissions. Most pre-procedural admission testing is being done as an outpatient prior to admission. If the patient is admitted within 72 hours of a negative surveillance test, repeat testing is not necessary. If it has been more than 72 hours since a negative surveillance test, repeat testing should be done on admission. There is no indication to repeat a positive COVID-19 test.
- For patients undergoing a procedure at D-H that is not expected to result in hospital admission, we are not performing routine pre-procedural surveillance testing, but a D-H provider may request this testing if a positive result would result in canceling the procedure.
- We are performing community asymptomatic screening at DHMC for a family member or close contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case, a member of or health care worker at a group home/shelter, skilled nursing facility or long-term care facility, and all first responders
- For patients with a D-HH primary care provider (PCP), as well as D-HH employees and their families, we are performing asymptomatic screening that is needed for college, work or travel.
- For others who are looking for asymptomatic testing, the NH Department of Health and Human Services has several community-based asymptomatic test collection sites across that state. See this map for locations. In Vermont, the Department of Human Resources has a website listing COVID-19 Testing Events and how to register.
If your patient needs testing
If you are a health care provider who has a patient about whom there is concern for the possibility of COVID-19, who does not require emergency department evaluation, and has either contacted you by phone, or is in an ambulatory practice, please ask the patient to don a mask and go home to self-quarantine pending further decisions on COVID-19 testing. Do not direct them to DHMC Emergency Department.
If you are a Dartmouth-Hitchcock patient
You or your primary care provider should call the D-H COVID-19 Hotline at 603-650-1818.
If you are a Dartmouth-Hitchcock employee
Call Occupational Medicine at 603-653-3850 if you are symptomatic. For testing of symptomatic family members and asymptomatic testing for college, work, or travel, you or your primary care provider should call the D-H COVID-19 Hotline at 603-650-1818.
If you are NOT a Dartmouth-Hitchcock patient
Call your primary care provider who will coordinate initial screening and, if appropriate, testing though the state. If you do not have a primary care provider, call your state health department. In New Hampshire, call the 2-1-1 state hotline; in Vermont, call 2-1-1 or 866-652-4636 toll free in Vermont, or 802-652-4636 from outside of Vermont.
- Information about COVID-19
- D-HH is Open, Safe and Here for You
- Visitors to D-HH Facilities
- Vendor Access During COVID-19
- How to Safely Wear a Face Mask
- Self-Quarantine vs. Self-Isolation
- Recovery Webinar Series
- Mental Health Webinar Series
- COVID-19 Testing Information
- Pregnancy and Breast Milk
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Community and Employee Relief Funds
- Recent News Updates
- COVID-19 FAQs
- Additional References
- Information in Other Languages
- D-HH Heroes