ALS Center

ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) is a disorder of the motor neurons, the cells that control muscles. In about 10% of cases, a genetic defect is the cause of ALS. In the remaining 90% of cases, the cause is unknown.

The result is wasting atrophy and weakness of muscles of the head, arms, legs, and muscles used for breathing and swallowing. ALS affects about six out of every 100,000 people.

Dartmouth-Hitchcock is dedicated to providing you with excellence in clinical care for ALS (or Lou Gehrig's disease), researching the causes and finding treatments for the condition. We also provide education for you and your family, and for medical students and professionals.

Image
ALS Gold Certified Treatment logo

Nationally recognized treatment centers

The ALS Center at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) in Lebanon, NH, encompasses a comprehensive care ALS clinic and research laboratories that study the condition at Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth.

Image
ALS Silver Certified Treatment logo

DHMC is recognized by the National ALS Association as a Certified Treatment Center of Excellence for managing affected patients. Certified Treatment Centers of Excellence provide supportive, evidence-based, multidisciplinary ALS care and services and meet the ALS Association's comprehensive clinical care and treatment standards.

The ALS Center works closely with the Neurology Department and Neuromuscular Clinic to provide the best possible care for our patients.