Skip to main content
x
Dartmouth-Hitchcock logo
Summer Flowers In This Section

ALS Center

ALS is a neurodegenerative disorder of the motor neurons, the cells that control muscles. In about 10% of cases, ALS is caused by a genetic defect. In the remaining 90% of cases, the cause is unknown. The result is wasting, atrophy and weakness of muscles of head, arms and legs; and muscles used for breathing and swallowing. ALS affects about 6 out of every 100,000 people. Although there is no cure available for the disease, there are FDA approved medications available to delay progression of the disease (edaravone, riluzole) and to manage complications of the disorder (dextrometorphan-quinidine). The gold standard of care for ALS patients is management at Multidisciplinary ALS Clinics, which can also offer access to clinical trials such as our L-serine treatment trial at DHMC.

Refer to the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) page on our Dartmouth-Hitchcock Healthwise® Health Encyclopedia website to learn more about this condition.

Dartmouth-Hitchcock is dedicated to providing you with excellence in clinical care for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease), researching the causes and finding treatments for the condition. We also provide education for you and your family, and for medical students and professionals.

Nationally recognized treatment centers

ALS Association Certified Treatment Center of Excellence sealThe ALS Center at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC) in Lebanon, NH, encompasses a comprehensive care ALS clinic and research laboratories that study the condition at Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth. DHMC is recognized by the National ALS Association as a Certified Treatment Center of Excellence for managing affected patients. Certified Treament Centers of Excellence provide supportive, evidence-based, multidisciplinary ALS care and services and meet the ALS Association's comprehensive clinical care and treatment standards.

ALS Association Recognized Treatment Center sealDartmouth-Hitchcock Manchester in Manchester, NH, offers a monthly ALS Multidisciplinary Clinic that works in tandem with the ALS Center at DHMC to provide support in the southern region. Dartmouth-Hithcock Manchester is an ALS Association Recognized Treatment Center. The ALS Association awards Recognized Treatment Center status to centers that provide the same high quality, multidisciplinary care as Certified Treatment Centers, but that do not provide onsite research or clinical trials.

Support the ALS Center

Dartmouth-Hitchcock programs thrive on your generous support. Please consider making a gift to support the ALS Center.

Related links

The following links to other Dartmouth-Hitchcock clinical programs provide information related to ALS:

Contact Us

0