The birth of a baby can be a very complex process and, once the baby arrives, it has to adjust to a life outside of the mother’s body. Some babies require a higher level of care during that adjustment process. Via telemedicine technology, a board-certified neonatologist joins the local bedside team to provide neonatal care for a wide variety of diagnoses.
The 24/7 support of TeleICN helps keep patients and families closer to home by supporting clinical decision making and providing expert evaluations and recommendations. If a transfer is necessary, our specialized TeleICN team assists in arranging transport for that patient. This service is available for hospitals with labor and delivery units and or for hospitals without labor and delivery units to help with urgent ED situations.
- Our neonatologists join the bedside team by initiating a call through the DHMC Transfer Center.
- Utilizing two-way, interactive audio and video technology, local staff receive the support and assistance they need in critical situations, and patients receive specialty care otherwise not available locally, 24/7/365.
We are committed to serving the needs of you and your patients, so we encourage you to utilize the TeleICN service for any clinical support you may need. Listed below are some common reasons the TeleICN service is activated:
- Acute neonatal resuscitation
- Bilious vomiting in newborn
- Low oxygen saturation
- Premature labor
- Respiratory distress/pulmonary
- Hyper bilirubin/jaundice
- Congenital anomalies
- Decision making
Financial and quality impact
- Provides specialty treatment that is otherwise unavailable
- Improves patient outcomes
- Provides faster diagnosis and treatment
- Decreases transfer rate/increases retention rate
- Helps expedite transfer for non-labor and delivery sites
Patients, providers and staff
- Delivers prompt involvement of our neonatologists for a wide variety of diagnoses
- Helps to keep patients and families close to home
- Provides expert evaluation and recommendations
- Supports clinical decision making
- Assists with transfers/transport to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC)
- Immediate support for ED staff without labor and delivery
For more information on our TeleICN program, please contact:
Michelle Tyler, MD