For urgent/emergent transfers, call 877-999-9870.
The Transfer Center is a service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help facilitate urgent/emergent transfers to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC).
Calls to the Transfer Center are answered by an experienced registered nurse representative who will collect all pertinent information while contacting the respective DHMC clinical service provider. Our centrally coordinated transfer process will improve our services for you and your patients.
DHMC is committed to facilitating all transfer requests in the fastest manner possible and accommodating all patients. Transfers may be timed to align with the patient's clinical status and patient care requirements.
- Call the Transfer Center. Your call will be recorded.
- The Transfer Center nurse will then collect initial information, determine appropriate clinical service to be contacted and document all patient information in our new transfer center software system.
When calling the Transfer Center, the following information will be requested:
- Referring hospital name and phone
- Referring physician name and contact numbers
- Patient name, age, diagnosis, and type of specialty care or service requested
- Clinical status of the patient
- DHMC attending physician or designee will determine the patient's transfer status.
- The patient's transfer plan will be determined at the conclusion of the three-way call between the referring and DHMC providers, and the Transfer Center nurse.
- The Transfer Center nurse will facilitate all components of the patient's urgent/emergent admission process.
- Regular updates will be provided by the Transfer Center nurse at pre-designated intervals and upon request.
Calling services directly
Call the Transfer Center's toll-free number. All calls for emergent transfer will be routed to the Transfer Center.
Coordination of transportation
The Transfer Center nurse will work with the referring physician to determine the preferred mode of transport required for the patient.
Questions and feedback
The Transfer Center is staffed by registered nurses and patient placement specialists available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you have questions, please call the Transfer Center.