We offer the following pulmonary medicine testing, treatments, and services:
- Arterial blood gases
- Bronchoscopy, with and without biopsies
- Chest physiotherapy
- ECHO support services
- Electrocardiograms (EKGs or ECGs)
- Emergency resuscitation
- Mechanical ventilation
- Medication delivered via inhalation or by mouth
- Oxygen saturation measurement at rest and during exertion
- Pulmonary function testing, including:
- Bronchial provocation
- Diffusion capacity measurement
- Spirometry with and without bronchodilators
- Lung volume measurement
- Pulmonary rehabilitation and exercise
- Pulse oximetry
- Radiographic examinations
- Six-minute walk measurements
- Sleep medicine
- Spirometry with provision of aerosolized medications and humidity
- Supplementary oxygen
- Therapeutic gases
We also provide counseling and education, and referrals to other specialists as needed.
Other specialized care
We work closely with other Dartmouth-Hitchcock teams to provide specialized care with the following programs:
- The COPD Clinic provides information and support for patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
- Interventional Pulmonology offers minimally invasive care for chest and lung diseases.
- The Neuromuscular Clinic works to improve the quality of life for adults with ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig's disease), post-polio syndrome, muscle diseases, nerve diseases, or myasthenia gravis.
- New Hampshire Cystic Fibrosis Center provides care and services for adults and children with cystic fibrosis.
- The Pulmonary Rehabilitation program provides individualized exercise programs and educational classes for individuals with respiratory disorders, such as COPD, asthma, interstitial lung disease, and pulmonary fibrosis.
Pulmonary function testing
We provide a full range of pulmonary function testing at all of our locations. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center operates a pulmonary function testing (PFT) lab on Level 5, near the Pulmonary Outpatient Clinic.
Information for some our tests is provided below. Please review the testing information to learn what to expect for each specific test:
- Bronchial inhalation challenge test (PDF)
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing (PDF)
- Exercise-induced asthma cardiopulmonary exercise testing (PDF)
- Home lung function test
- Lung function tests
The lab is open from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Visits to the PFT lab last from 30 to 120 minutes depending on the type of test being performed.
To schedule an appointment or if you have any questions, please contact Pulmonary Medicine at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.