Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center offers a range of surgical treatment options from traditional, open surgery to video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) and robotic video-assisted thoracic surgery (RVATS).
VATS and RVATS allow us to:
- Decrease pain and shorten time to recovery for patients
- Improve patient outcomes and long-term benefit
- Advance surgical practice in the treatment of late stage disease and complex thoracic procedures
We strive to continuously improve the surgical treatment of diseases and conditions in the chest. Our surgeons partner with your primary care physician and other medical experts to create an effective and comprehensive treatment plan for you.
Conditions we treat
Using primarily minimally invasive techniques, our thoracic surgeons treat advanced disease and complex conditions such as:
- Benign and malignant tracheal disease
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and Barrett’s Disease
- Lung and esophageal cancers
- Mediastinal disease including thymoma and myasthenia gravis
- Paraesophageal/Hiatal hernias and other benign esophageal diseases
- Pleural diseases
- Traumatic rib fractures