In addition to providing treatment for current indications for hyperbaric oxygen therapy, our team is committed to advancing the field of hyperbaric medicine through research and quality improvement.
Current and recent research
Multicenter registry for hyperbaric oxygen therapy
We were one of the founding members of a registry of hyperbaric oxygen outcomes. Basic outcome data are collected on all patients treated to allow for continuous quality improvement.
The following publication describes the registry:
- Development of an International, Multicenter, Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment Registry and Research Consortium: Protocol for Outcome Data Collection and Analysis
Use of hyperbaric oxygen for inflammatory bowel disease
We have internationally-known experts in inflammatory bowel disease on the faculty, and this has led to clinical trials evaluating hyperbaric oxygen for ulcerative colitis.
The following publications describe this work:
- A phase 2B randomised trial of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for ulcerative colitis patients hospitalised for moderate to severe flares
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is well tolerated and effective for ulcerative colitis patients hospitalized for moderate-severe flares: a phase 2A pilot multi-center, randomized, double-blind, sham-controlled trial
- Systematic review: The safety and efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for inflammatory bowel disease
Use of hyperbaric oxygen as a radiation sensitizer
Tumors respond better to radiation therapy when their oxygen level is high. The hyperbaric program is located near the radiation oncology treatment suite. This means studies can be done where patients receive hyperbaric oxygen immediately prior to radiation to help sensitize their tumor to radiation.
The following studies have been done in this area:
- Hyperbaric Oxygen as Radiation Sensitizer for Locally Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oropharynx: A Phase 1 Dose-Escalation Study
- Proof-of-Principle Study of Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO) as a Radiosensitizer Prior to Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) for Brain Metastases
- Does Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) affect etonogestrel levels from a Nexplanon® implant? (PDF)
- Hyperbaric oxygen treatments for vasculitis induced by levamisole-containing cocaine (PDF)
- Improvement in Neurologic Symptoms Following Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments for Presumed Soft Tissue Radionecrosis (PDF)
- Lyme Disease Developing During Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments (PDF)
- Multicenter Hyperbaric Outcomes Registry: 2020 Update (PDF)
- Resolution of Oropharyngeal Fistula in Patient with History of Life-Threatening Bleeding (PDF)
- Voice Recovery in Radiation-Induced Inflammatory Laryngitis Using Hyperbaric Oxygen (PDF)